Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Share |

Recommendation needed for jet pump

What manufacturers make the best quality shallow well jet pumps? Our current pump is leaking, and is a 1/2 HP. Generally, is it better to have more HP? A 3/4 or 1 HP pump? It is for our house's main water supply, and is a point well. We have a separate pressure tank. Thanks.

Jim McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

I assume the leak cannot be repaired with a new gasket or fitting? Were you happy with the overall performance of your existing brand? How old is the pump? If you do upgrade in size, be sure to not get one so large that your existing wiring will not be adequate.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
What manufacturers make the best quality shallow well jet pumps? Our current pump is leaking, and is a 1/2 HP. Generally, is it better to have more HP? A 3/4 or 1 HP pump? It is for our house's main water supply, and is a point well. We have a separate pressure tank. Thanks.
IMO, While there are many jet pumps to choose from and all of them will claim they are the best; if possible, replace your jet pump with the exact same model as the old one to ensure compatibility with the rest of your system. To make sure you get exactly what you need, take photographs of the existing pump and tank system, including the old pump nameplate. With help from the sales clerk and the photographs, you can match the replacement pump to the original model, or at least find a comparable model of the same size and with the same pump performance.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I think the leak is from a seal. I think it's the original pump(Wagner) from when the house was built in 1975, and they appear to be out of business. I don't want to put any money into repairing this old pump.

Again, are they any pump manufacturers that seem to be above average quality? My neighbor, an electrician said to buy a "Red Jacket" pump.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Thanks guys. I think the leak is from a seal. I think it's the original pump(Wagner) from when the house was built in 1975, and they appear to be out of business. I don't want to put any money into repairing this old pump.

Again, are they any pump manufacturers that seem to be above average quality? My neighbor, an electrician said to buy a "Red Jacket" pump.
Roger that Jim. Going new is always the better option if you can swing it. You won't have to worry about it again for a long time. Red jacket has an excellent warantee.

IMO, they are deffinately above average quality and they been around for over 100 years. Of course it all all depends on how much you want to throw at it. For example, a Flotec does the same thing costs around 200 bucks. Plan on around 400 - 500 for the red jacket. Google red jacket shallow jet pumps for reviews. People love them. Just be prepared for the sticker shock.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Roger that Jim. Going new is always the better option if you can swing it. You won't have to worry about it again for a long time. Red jacket has an excellent warantee.

IMO, they are deffinately above average quality and they been around for over 100 years. Of course it all all depends on how much you want to throw at it. For example, a Flotec does the same thing costs around 200 bucks. Plan on around 400 - 500 for the red jacket. Google red jacket shallow jet pumps for reviews. People love them. Just be prepared for the sticker shock.
Thanks. Do you have any other recommendations that are cheaper than Red Jacket?