Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #1

Share |

Recirculation Line

Hi guys. I'm interested in putting a hot water recirc line in a restaurant because the water doesn't get hot fast enough. Can someone explain how I can do this? Thank you.
MJI22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
call me E

Recirculation Line

It may not be your best alternative. Do you have a lack of hw in the restrooms? Consider an "on demand" remote heater. Sometimes with the existing piping a recirc will not help all fixtures.
Has this issue always existed- verify water heater is operating as it should first.
To answer your question as simply and short as possible though, hw leaves the tank, feeds all the fixtures then returns back to the cw inlet at the tank creating a loop. It also requires a pump and check valves to make the loop function
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #3

Recirculation Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber
It may not be your best alternative. Do you have a lack of hw in the restrooms? Consider an "on demand" remote heater. Sometimes with the existing piping a recirc will not help all fixtures.
Has this issue always existed- verify water heater is operating as it should first.
To answer your question as simply and short as possible though, hw leaves the tank, feeds all the fixtures then returns back to the cw inlet at the tank creating a loop. It also requires a pump and check valves to make the loop function
If the loop ties back into the cw inlet, where does the cold water supply tie in to? I'm replacing water heater with a new one already but a recirc line is requested.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
call me E

Recirculation Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJI22 View Post
If the loop ties back into the cw inlet, where does the cold water supply tie in to? I'm replacing water heater with a new one already but a recirc line is requested.
Here's 2 methods. 1 uses a modified drain, the other tees into the cold feed
Attached Images

ben's plumbing (07-17-2012), plummen (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #5

Recirculation Line

Quote:

Thanks, does the method that tees into the cold feed all the cold fixtures before returning to the heater? Do you recommend that method? I'd rather not run a separate return line if I didn't have to.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
call me E

Recirculation Line

Considering this is a public restaurant (the work should be permitted) and you're not familiar with a recirc design, I suggest you hire a plumber.
ben's plumbing (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

Recirculation Line

Quote:
Considering this is a public restaurant (the work should be permitted) and you're not familiar with a recirc design, I suggest you hire a plumber.
Oh, I see.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Recirculation Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I generally use the lower right method myself,fewer parts only requires check valve

Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #9

Recirculation Line

if you go with first option NO the return only goes to the hot water heater however not recommended as the cold water inlet should remain cold only to make sure the cold water drops to yhe bottom of the tank and is heated as it rises "circulation" Second method recommended. Just run common return from affected fixtures (sinks?) back to bottom of tank. You can remove the drain valve and install a tee at that point. Requires small recirc pump as well. Check with commercial suppliers for type and size. I have found that "Grundfoss" pumps are the best for this app. Of course there are other makes that will also work.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote