Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2009, 07:19 AM   #1

Share |

rear discharge/wall mount toilet

Hard to find info on the net for rear discharge toilets. Can the drain pipe go horizontally through the wall immediately behind the toilet or does it have to drop straight down??? 90 degree elbow set for immediate right turn and then straight (with slope) through the wall to outside. Would this be someplace in the code?? JIm

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

THe pipe going through the wall and then a vent. Then you can make your bends or go horizonal. Just needs to be vented when it goes through the wall

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. I am working with a 6" wall. I am guessing that the drains will be 3" PVC. Coming off the back of the toilet it appears my options would be. The other side of wall being living space, so 90 degree elbow off toilet, tee for vent, then do what I want??
Or vent stack, street el into tee ( mounted horizontally) to which toilet is mounted??
From what I see on the net, there would not be enough room to put a tee mounted vertically and an elbow underneath, or is there??
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #4

I'm installing an American Standard rear discharge/ floor mounted toilet. Would like to get advice on which way the wax seal mounts (flat side to toilet or flat side to pipe) and also the best way to get good results adding plaster of paris underneath the toilet (it needs a platform).
The last install on one of our other bathrooms, the plaster dried nicely but with not so even looking trim. I tried using a sponge, and that helped. My strategy this time is as before: to strategically place spacers underneath the toilet so that I can make sure when i install it that it will be at the proper height for the pipe. Once having placed the wax ring properly on the toilet, then push and place the toilet against the pipe/wall. Fastening the bolts. Once testing the toilet for leaks by emptying about 10 pales of water, upon seeing no evidence of any leakage: put everything together. Once together and still working properly, then adding plaster of paris underneath and around the spacers that support the toilet and thus making a stable platform. If there was a trick to shaping the plaster more uniformly, that would be nice to know. Though seems like the wet sponge against the drying plaster is the only way to try to make it smooth for a nicer appearance. If that's the case then I'm just looking for advice as to which way the wax ring should be placed. The box it came in has no indication of which way it should go.
Thanks!

Last edited by audioplumber; 09-01-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: changes
audioplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
DIY staff

A licensed plumber will be along soon---my experience with wall mounted toilets was this---I used wall mount foam rubber gaskets with 'Form a Gasket' as a sealer---never a wax ring--always a foam rubber gasket.

I've only installed a dozen or so wall mount toilets,so my knowledge may be flawed.---Mike----
Old 09-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

In 5 years i've only ever installed one (residential application too, go figure) and it aligns with what mike said. . . . foam gasket, not a wax ring.

Why are you using plaster of paris under the toilet?
oh'mike (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #7

Lightbulb

only because there was plaster of paris under the old toilet that i relplaced. The problem being that the toilet needed to be raised up to the level of the soil pipe.
One that I installed about 5 years ago looks fairly nice though I wasn't able to get it beautifully smooth. Thanks for the foam suggestion. Heard of neoprene but didn't see it in the hardware; I'll look in a plumbing supply for it. Do you have any suggestions for supporting a toilet at the level of the pipe?
Thanks again for your response.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Yes... you can use shims (any type : wood, rubber, or plastic), and fill with regular caulking.... it's a little easier to work with i'd imagine.....

The other option would be to lower the flange....
Old 09-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #9

Thumbs up

Thanks Alan. I'm not handy enough to lower the pipe. It's set up behind the wall.
But I like the caulking idea. So, I'm going to make a one inch supporting wall of plaster of Paris around the shims, leaving just enough room for an outer layer of caulking. Hopefully will look great...nice and smooth.
Thanks Mike about the foam seal.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
DIY staff

A trick for easy silicone caulk application.

Greased lightning.

silicone will stick to any dry surface--it will not stick to a wet soapy surface.

Apply your silicone leaving no gaps for the spray cleaner to enter.

Spray the silicone and surrounding area with Greased Lightning--spray your finger--smooth out the silicone with your finger---remove excess to a paper towel.--Mike---

Those foam gaskets are available at any plumbing supply house---Form a Gasket is available at Auto parts stores if the plumbing house doesn't have it.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #11

Smile

Very good to hear a way to smooth out the silicon. So then, once the silicon is applied and while it's still soft, I take GL, spray it on the area and my finger-tip then smooth out the surface running my finger along the silicon.
Would Windex work as well (it has ammonia in it) or Seventh Generation: it's a chemical free natural ingredient soapy alternative that works like Windex. (Sounds like any soapy spray might do the trick)
Would also save me a trip to HD.
Thanks again for the tip!

Will report back after it's all complete.
(New York City)
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
DIY staff

You need something soapy--window wash doesn't work--tried it---most others aren't as good as Greased Lightning--So that's what I use---

The finished bead will be the same size as the bead you applied,as the silicone does not spread out as you tool it.