Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Red face

Rear Discharge toilet on Floor mounted drain

Morning all. I have a problem. A "Plumber" has installed a rear discharge toilet with a 90 degree bend into a floor mounted drain flange. This puts the toilet far from the wall. Other than this problem, is there an issue with this installation? From day one the toilet has a terrible odor. There are on obvious signs ow liquid leakage. I can find no information on any internet site regarding this. Ian

iramphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wall hung units have a 90 angle within the wall. In this situation, it wouldn't change that as long as there is a complete trap within the toilet.

where it would make a difference, that I could imagine is: a floor mounted toilet flange is not designed to deal with forces such as your setup would cause. They are designed to have pressure straight down. I would suspect you have a leak at the floor due to as weight is applied, it will tilt the toilet and possibly break the seal at the floor flange. I suspect you will eventually break the flange itself. They are simply not designed to take that type of force.

Is there something other than the flange that supports the toilet itself? Has somebody fashioned some sort of support to hold the toilet up? If not, I suspect you will get a big surprise one day as the flange breaks and you end up on the floor.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I would not use your "plumber" any more and I would call a Plumber. Ask your friends, coworkers, neighbors who they use and like.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,140

Why would anybody do that? A correct toilet would not be that expensive.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #5

The toilet is anchored with two bolts at the front that would normally support it as they would if the unit was discharging through/into a wall, so it is secure. The owner bought the unit as part of a tub/sink/toilet matching set, never knowing the difference between a rear discharge and a bottom discharge toilet. The "plumber" then did two things: First, he dug up the existing floor drain, whose center was the correct 12 inches from the wall. Secondly, he then shortened it so the center of the new floor drain was 8 inches from the wall. He did that so the rear discharge toilet tank would be against the wall, so he could anchor the tank to the wall. So now, if the toilet ever needs replacing, a floor mounted unit could not be used and a rear discharge unit would have to have the exact same dimensions for its tank to be secured to the wall.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #6

Bad odor traced and solved. We lifted up the bathtub surround to reveal that the tub drain goes out the wall directly into a septic well (sealed on the top outside the building. The toilet drain discharges into that also. The tub drain had no seal as it entered the tank, so every time the toilet was used, even for liquid use, it would correctly overflow internally and empty into the tank, stirring up its contents and forcing the sewer gases through the wall and under the tub.

How dumb can you be!