Re-plumbing A Washer Hookup And Drain Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-plumbing a washer hookup and drain question

Hi everyone, I'm new on here and am hoping to get some advice in regards to getting my laundry room back to being a laundry room. A previous owner of the house we purchased, converted the laundry room into a very small office at some point throughout it's history. We are now looking to convert it back into a laundry room and get everything plumbed in properly to California (Placer County if it helps) code. I have been searching to try and figure out how the vent is supposed to be setup and am confused as to how and if the vent needs to be setup.

With the wall opened up, we found where the hot and cold water lines previously ran to the washer setup and were capped off. We also found the drain into the slab foundation which had been cut short and capped off. I haven't gone into the attic yet to see if the vent originally went through the attic and out through the roof at this point. Whoever moved it in the past, did not setup a vent out through the roof when they relocated the washer into the garage - FYI.

Please excuse the simple drawings, but I am trying to figure out which route I should go when we plumb the drain back in. Looking at the pictures, does either of these look like the correct way to set it up?

To explain the pictures:
The gold lines with the red and blue are where the hot/cold water lines will be tapped back into the existing water lines.

The grey pipe is to show how we would add the drain/vent lines back onto the existing drain that was capped off (in black).

The brown lines are the studs in the walls (16" on center)

This is all in a single story home by the way.

Does anyone know of a good book out there for reference and also to look up the code for height, diameter, vent, etc?
Attached Thumbnails
Re-plumbing a washer hookup and drain question-washer-ptrap-only.jpg   Re-plumbing a washer hookup and drain question-washer-ptrap-vent.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by troyman75; 02-23-2011 at 11:50 PM.
troyman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,630

Either drawing will work. You don't need the re-vent as shown in the second drawing though.
Washers require a 2" drain and trap with a minimum 1 1/2" vent.
Trap should be 6" above the floor and the standpipe to the box should be no less than 18" long.
Add a cleanout tee in the vertical pipe for good measure.

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the feedback and mentioning the clean-out tee, I'll definitely add that in as well.

I went up into the attic this evening and found where the original vent line had come up through the wall and was plumbed into a shared vent line in the attic and out through the roof. The vent line is all 1 1/2" line and there appears to be two other vents utilizing this vent. Once I add this line back in, there will be a total of three vent lines converging at this one roof vent, is there any concern about that?

From what I could see in the code book, it looks like I can have a maximum of 8 units on the one vent with a maximum length of 60 feet. Is that a combined 60 feet for all three vents, or a maximum of 60 feet per vent from the drain/vent intersection to the end of the vent?

This is the code:
Attached Thumbnails
Re-plumbing a washer hookup and drain question-ventcode.jpg  

Last edited by troyman75; 02-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.
troyman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,630

You should be ok running the washer vent 1.5".
I use the UPC code and there is a foot note under the venting table that says more than a third of the vent can be horizontal(20' in this case) But if it is increased to 2" then you can run further. Check your venting chapter for that exception. It looks like you have the UPC too, but a different year of issue.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote