Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Landlord

Rewards Points: 75

Re-Plumb!!! For the pros

What does most of the costs come from in a replumb? Say I cut the drywall and I clear the obstacles for routing the pipes................Just need the plumber to run the lines. Does that cut mosts of the costs???

cocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Re-Plumb!!! For the pros

It can save money in labor costs. Make sure you ask the Plumber where the walls need to be cut and how large an opening. What most people don't look at when the bill comes is that the Plumber has transportation and insurance cost, tools and most of all, knowledge to do the work. You may get a "job bid" or an hourly quote.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
We pick these?

Re-Plumb!!! For the pros

If you just need it done pronto and only want to save a little bit of money, maybe you will doing what you say. If you have time and you're skilled enough to do the demo, you could save a lot of money by using PEX and crimps and doing the supply lines yourself. I think the more difficult thing to get right is drainage and venting, but you could get lots of help from this site ( I have ) or others like it. If you're just running new supply I'd encourage you to DIY.
NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Landlord

Re-Plumb!!! For the pros

Well, i'm going to go ahead and use pex piping and do it myself one day. Is pex just as reliable as copper? Will it last a lifetime?? I'll be replacing PB pipe with pex when I remodel the bathrooms.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
We pick these?

Re-Plumb!!! For the pros

There are some characteristics of the PEX that copper doesn't have, such as in freezing temperatures and the absence of susceptibility to minerals or electrolysis. You'll find many debates online about the merits of either, but the large majority of new construction and remodeling I see is being plumbed with PEX. There is data regarding its supposed longevity, but I think the remaining copper in my house will be bad long before the PEX fails.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Landlord

Re-Plumb!!! For the pros

thanks, that is what I have been debating for a long time. Pex vs copper. I mean they use it on This old House don't they? It must be good
Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Re-Plumb!!! For the pros

Yeah they use it on TOH but that doesnt mean its good. I've seen them do and use some things on there that make me cringe.

HOWEVER..........PEX is a good product and quite reliable. My own brand preference is UPONOR (oop uh nor...not "up on her"). Quick, easy and out the door.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #8

Re-Plumb!!! For the pros

I think it on may have read it on these boards or on another website, but is it true that mice/rats can chew through the pipe and cause leaks. Additionally, if you start to upgrade your house with PEX, check the pressure rating on the pipe. You may need to add a new pressure relief valve to your HW tank, as PEX can not handle the high pressure that copper does.
Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
We pick these?

Re-Plumb!!! For the pros

From the PPFA website (plastic piping yada yada):

What are temperature limitations for PEX?
PEX tubing can be used up to 200 Fahrenheit for heating applications. For plumbing, PEX is limited to 180 F. Temperature limitations are always noted on the print line of the PEX tubing.. PEX systems are tested to and can be used with standard T and P relief valves that operate at 210 F and 150 psi.

I maintained copper piping within 36 inches of my HW tank. I read it was required in some areas, so I figured I'd be safer to do so. I transitioned from copper to PEX with... well, you know.