Rattling Pipes On 2nd Floor Bath ONLY When HOT Water On. Plumber Wants $600 - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Rattling pipes on 2nd floor Bath ONLY when HOT water on. Plumber wants $600

Hello folks!

Please help me figure out the least expensive way to solve this.

When I open the shower's hot water on the 2nd floor bathroom, the pipes rattle loudly. This happens ONLY on the 2nd floor's bathroom, nowhere else in the house.

I had a plumber check it out, but we could not replicate the rattling while he was there. He had the hot water running for a long time and checked all other faucets as well, but could not get it to make the noise for some odd reason.
He also checked the pressure outside at a garden faucet and it was 90psi which he said it was too high so he is recommending a pressure reducer to be installed under the house and an expansion tank on the electric water heater at a cost of $600. Too bad he could not hear the rattling and inspect the offending pipe or locate the issue.

The next morning the rattling started again. So, the problem remains.

A little background. The Water heater has never been changed or fixed or never have I had any issues with the plumbing at the house.

My question is whether it is really necessary to install a pressure reducer valve and the expansion tank to solve the rattling created by the hot water on the 2nd floor. Maybe there is another less expensive solution to this problem.

What could be the solution for this localized pipe rattling that just starting recently?

I really appreciate your insight. !!! thanks a lot

Advertisement

Tnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,780

Look for an inspection and repair panel near the shower , on the opposite side of the shower wall, sometimes in a closet in the adjoining room, or as a hidden panel on the adjoining rooms wall.

Any decent installer puts one in as it is necessary to have one in case repairs are needed.

Once you find the repair / inspection panel, remove it and see if there is a loose strap or maybe a missing one on the piping to this shower.

That is usually the reason that pipes rattle in the second story, not an over pressure issue.

Find a different plumber.

ED

Advertisement

de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,640

"My question is whether it is really necessary to install a pressure reducer valve and the expansion tank to solve the rattling created by the hot water on the 2nd floor. Maybe there is another less expensive solution to this problem."

Your house water pressure should never be above 80 Lbs, 60 lbs is normal for a house. A pressure expansion tank is required when you install the Pressure reducing valve.
I doubt that will solve your rattling issue.
The plumber gave you advice that is good for future problems.

It sounds like you may need to replace a washer on the hot to your shower or the cartridge. If there is a shut off to the shower it may also cause the issue a washer type valve will do this.

I would suggest getting 2 more prices before using him. At most to install that 2 hours labor plus parts.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 05-06-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (05-07-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Look for an inspection and repair panel near the shower , on the opposite side of the shower wall, sometimes in a closet in the adjoining room, or as a hidden panel on the adjoining rooms wall.
ED
Thanks I will check as soon as I can.

Although what if there is no panel near the shower to take an easy look?

I will end up calling another plumber, but I am afraid there will be no rattling when he is there. Are you highly certain this is the issue to allow a plumber to cut the wall to check what is going on there? I am just wondering, nothing more and thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker
It sounds like you may need to replace a washer on the hot to your shower or the cartridge. If there is a shut off to the shower it may also cause the issue a washer type valve will do this.
Is the washer and cartridge on the faucet itself or behind in the repair panel (sorry I am not versed in this area). The shower only has one big knob that you turn to either get hot or cold. Just in case that says anything.
Also, the washer type valve you mention is at the shut off to the shower? Is this shut off usually located inside the repair panel? where would it be if there is no panel?

Thanks a lot for answering my questions. I truly appreciate it.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:09 AM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,778

I would try the washer or cartridge repair first. These are accessible by removing the cover plate and handle at the face of the valve- rear access won't be needed for that.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnguy
Thanks I will check as soon as I can. Although what if there is no panel near the shower to take an easy look? I will end up calling another plumber, but I am afraid there will be no rattling when he is there. ....
Why don't you make a video recording of the place and noise/sound on the days that you hear the rattling? When the plumber comes and there's no rattling, you at least have a video to support your oral description.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I would try the washer or cartridge repair first. These are accessible by removing the cover plate and handle at the face of the valve- rear access won't be needed for that.
Before trying this, make sure that the supply line has been shut off.
Again this should be in the wall behind the inspection/repair panel.

Or you will have water shooting everywhere.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #8

It could be a bad pressure balance spool in the shower cartridge. Post a pick of the valve please.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #9

I appreciate all your replies!

Unfortunately I am not at the house since I am out of town, but I have contacted a different plumber who will go tomorrow to check it out. I will be on the phone with him though.

I am not sure whether there is a repair panel and just in case there is none and he can't visually inspect the pipes going to the shower, do you think I should have him just replace the washer and cartridge or you would also suggest he cuts the wall to look?

I have read that evacuating the water in the pipes may help ? Not sure how evacuating the whole house will help just pipe to the shower on the 2nd floor. I am under the impression that works for more generalized rattling rather than a specific pipe like this case. Thoughts?
Old 05-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #10

I appreciate all your replies!

Unfortunately I am not at the house since I am out of town, but I have contacted a different plumber who will go tomorrow to check it out. I will be on the phone with him though.

I am not sure whether there is a repair panel and just in case there is none and he can't visually inspect the pipes going to the shower, do you think I should have him just replace the washer and cartridge or you would also suggest he cuts the wall to look?

I have read that evacuating the water in the pipes may help ? Not sure how evacuating the whole house will help just pipe to the shower on the 2nd floor. I am under the impression that works for more generalized rattling rather than a specific pipe like this case. Thoughts?

This shower knob is an old Delta like this one http://terrylove.com/forums/index.ph...149-jpg.13344/
Old 05-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,662

I was going to say you open the valve. May be you are not opening the valve full and something loose inside the valve is moving under the high pressure?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #12

A reputable local company went to the house today and determined that the rattling is under the house and not only when then hot water on the shower is on, but when the washer and other faucets are open as well.
He said that the problem was at the meter and the utilities company would have to change the check valve that was failing. Does this sound accurate to you?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #13

That is possible. Local water departments have been including check valves as part of the meter set.

By the way I would keep that guys number in my phone book.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (05-10-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #14

UPDATE: The water company went to the house and checked the water meter and told me that I do not have a check valve. So basically the plumber lied about it.
The water company told me the meter indeed is making some noise when he turn water on and he could replace the water meter BUT that there is a PVC pipe coming out of the meter and into the house that is supposed to be copper and that they would not be responsible to fix any issues that develop from the new meter installation due to the PVC pipe.
If they install the new water meter that may solve the issue or maybe not, and I am risking they damage the PVC pipe and then I have to have an emergency plumber to go and fix it. This is very frustrating to say the least. It seems that the last plumber did not even bother to check if there was a check valve at the meter and just wanted to leave in a hurry. I am waiting to hear back from them, but in the meantime it looks like I will be getting the new water meter and hope for the best.
Also, they said that 90psi was considered normal by them so go figure.

Any insight on how to handle this from this point?
Old 05-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #15
Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,778

Personally, I'd hold off on the meter and concentrate on the noises source. Start by making sure all pipes are anchored securely in the crawl.

Then I'd put in a pressure regulator and throttle your pressure down to 60psi.
90 psi is above the code compliant level of 80 psi maximum. That's not your water dept. fault- it's just the way it is. One district I work with is over 100psi to compensate for crop irrigation in the summer- The growers use a lot of water.....

Advertisement