DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rattling garden faucet supply pipe

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JDC 
#1 ·
I'm re-siding my house and pre-planning what to do at the garden faucet. The current one is copper soldered to a copper pipe. I'll be taking that apart to add a short stub, so the faucet comes through a mounting block. My question is about the rattling loose supply pipe.... should I do anything to anchor it? The pipe rattles about in the wall as much as the hole through the sheathing allows, which is a fair bit. There are no mounting holes cast in the body of the faucet. As I said, I'll be desoldering the faucet anyway to stub it out a short way during the siding project. I suppose I could swap the faucet for one with mouning holes. Is that enough? Of do ya'll think I should get into the wall cavity to tie down the pipe itself? Thanks for your thoughts.

OneTripper

#2 ·
If I'm reading correctly, you have a copper pipe that extrudes through the sheathing of the wall and then a faucet/sill cock soldered to the copper pipe. The copper pipe rattling/moving about through a hole in the sheathing will eventually lead to a hole in the copper pipe, period. IF you have a crawl space under the home and can access it easily, I would find a way to secure the copper pipe underneath the home. It may be as simple as attaching a piece of 2 x 4 perpendicular to an existing floor joist, then using the proper strap to secure the copper pipe to the 2 x 4. IF you can, also adding a piece of foam pipe insulation around the copper pipe and letting it extend through the sheathing would not hurt either. A sill cock with mounting holes may work, but what would you insert the screws into, your new siding, which is what? Good Luck, David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.