Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #1

Share |

Rattling garden faucet supply pipe

I'm re-siding my house and pre-planning what to do at the garden faucet. The current one is copper soldered to a copper pipe. I'll be taking that apart to add a short stub, so the faucet comes through a mounting block. My question is about the rattling loose supply pipe.... should I do anything to anchor it? The pipe rattles about in the wall as much as the hole through the sheathing allows, which is a fair bit. There are no mounting holes cast in the body of the faucet. As I said, I'll be desoldering the faucet anyway to stub it out a short way during the siding project. I suppose I could swap the faucet for one with mouning holes. Is that enough? Of do ya'll think I should get into the wall cavity to tie down the pipe itself? Thanks for your thoughts.

OneTripper

OneTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Household Handyman

If I'm reading correctly, you have a copper pipe that extrudes through the sheathing of the wall and then a faucet/sill cock soldered to the copper pipe. The copper pipe rattling/moving about through a hole in the sheathing will eventually lead to a hole in the copper pipe, period. IF you have a crawl space under the home and can access it easily, I would find a way to secure the copper pipe underneath the home. It may be as simple as attaching a piece of 2 x 4 perpendicular to an existing floor joist, then using the proper strap to secure the copper pipe to the 2 x 4. IF you can, also adding a piece of foam pipe insulation around the copper pipe and letting it extend through the sheathing would not hurt either. A sill cock with mounting holes may work, but what would you insert the screws into, your new siding, which is what? Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

I'd get in there and anchor the copper tubing.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote