Raising Toilet Flange (tiled Floor); Bought Set-rite; Screw Holes Don't Line Up - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Raising toilet flange (tiled floor); bought Set-rite; screw holes don't line up

I tiled my floor and I thought I had the solution to raising my toilet flange: use the Set-rite spacers & yellow plastic extender.

I bought the product and it would be a great solution except the screw holes in my existing flange don't line up with the screw holes in the set-rite spacers & extenders.

I've looked at some other flanges in the store and I don't think their screw holes would line up with the Set-rite holes, either. Set-rite has the holes spaced equidistantly around the outer edge, and most flanges don't seem to have them spaced that way.

I guess one option would be to use the self-tapping screws set-rite provided & essentially create new holes in my existing flange that line up with the holes in the set-rite things, but I don't think that's the best solution. I'm guessing it could weaken my existing flange and cause much more expensive repairs down the line, so I won't do that. (My flange & pipe are black plastic so I'm assuming they're ABS.)

Alternatively, I could create new holes in the set-rite extender & spacers, to line up with my flanges holes. (At least this option would be fixed more cheaply: I could remove the set-rite products if they failed).

Has anyone encountered this problem using Set-rite, and what solution did you use? Set-rite doesn't warn you about this problem anywhere on the website or tell you how to deal with it.

(I decided against the two wax ring solution as it just seemed to likely to leak. I have to raise the flange 1 1/8". I wasn't thrilled with using the Oatey "closet flange spacers" either, because the horn of the toilet wouldn't fit tightly into the space created by using the spacers the way it's supposed to fit into the flange.)

Advertisement

Last edited by lazzlazz; 04-06-2014 at 09:21 PM.
lazzlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,046

Call set rite, send them images of your problem , they will be able to advise you what direction to take.

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,222

What in the world did you do that you need to raise the flange that much?? I've tiled many a floor and none ever raised more than about half that distance.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I don't think the holes on the extenders ever line up with the existing flange holes. I recently had to add a flange extension during a bath remodel. I used the Oatey extender from Lowe's and yes I had to add a hole to accommodate the extension. You're right a the two wax ring is not the a good solution. Perhaps the pros will weigh in with some recommendations.
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 672

That drain line should have been cut, floor installed then the drain reconnected using a Fernco so the flange was sitting on the finished floor.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That drain line should have been cut, floor installed then the drain reconnected using a Fernco so the flange was sitting on the finished floor.
The set-rite option meets code. If money was no object, I would have hired a plumber, but the reason why I'm a DIY-er is that money is an object (I don't trust my plumbing skills to do what you've siggested, although I can see why that would be the optimal solution).
Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 672

Why would you need plumbing skills to cut off a piece of plastic pipe?
If you can turn a screw driver you can install A Fernco.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,046

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, Come Joe cut the guy some slack he already did the job and is looking for help not to be scolded. Just make sure your the right height and the toilet hold downs are in the proper place and screw it down. Then just slide the hold-down's through the yellow flange like it was before. If need be contact set rite as previously mentioned.
gregzoll (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I was lucky on my bath remodel, that they had the closet flange piping connected to the Cast with a Fernco. I just disconnected mine, then when I got done with the tiling, put it back into place.

Of course it took a little bit of fighting with the assembly, due to I had to raise mine a 1/2".

The OP needs to go to a real plumbing house, to get the parts they need.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzlazz View Post
The set-rite option meets code. If money was no object, I would have hired a plumber, but the reason why I'm a DIY-er is that money is an object (I don't trust my plumbing skills to do what you've suggested, although I can see why that would be the optimal solution).
I would call a local mom & pop shop. They may have the part you need on their truck. At least it would be better then making six trips to the store. Due to you keep finding out your forgot something.

Take the Tank off of the bowl when you go to place it back on the Closet Flange. Makes things a whole lot easier. Also if the screws & gaskets for the tank have not been replaced in a long time. Now is the time to do it.

I ended up using a No Wax ring on my toilet, during my bath remodel. It made it easier while having to still use the bath. But I could pull the toilet any time, without having to mess with the wax ring.

Plus thing about the Fernco no wax rings. Is that they allow for those cases where you have to adjust the closet flange, or cannot get it high enough. Or in those cases where you have kids that see those commercials where they flush everything down the toilet, thinking that they can do the same thing.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I contacted Set-rite and they said it's fine to drill holes through their spacer & extender, to match those on my flange, and that this won't compromise the integrity of their products. I'll go for that approach. (If anyone else has the same problem, I'd suggest contacting Set-rite again so you have the email from them saying this. It would be nice if they put this on their website.)

p.s. Greg Zoll: the six trips to the hardware have already been made! although I combined the plumbing trip with trips for things for the floor! Thanks for the other useful hints.

Last edited by lazzlazz; 04-07-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

That is the rule of home repairs & remodeling lazzlazz. If you have not made six trips or more for a job. Then you are not doing it right. I do always pick up extra stuff and throw it into a plastic tub I keep for plumbing parts.

Same with any wood I have left over for a project. Just toss it into the attic area of my garage. I always end up with a neighbor needing something, or I ended up coming home from work, before I retired. To something that needed to be fixed.

Figured after we got this place. It was easier to always keep some things on hand, since we have a basement and garage. I got tired of having to run across the county to my father's place for parts.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
lazzlazz (04-09-2014)