DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Raising sewage trap to floor level? Thoughts?

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  mikegp 
#1 ·
My sewage trap is in the corner of my garage in a pit about 16 inches down. I would love to put two extension pipes where the caps are to get them up to ground level and then fill the pit with concrete. Has anyone seen anything like this done? Will the empty piping above the U of the trap affect anything? Would snaking or clogs become difficult to deal with? Where could I get the piping? It would have to thread onto the bottom and the caps would have to thread onto the top. Thanks for any help.

#8 ·
So my questions are:

1) Will the empty space above the U of the trap be a problem?(don't think so, but worth asking)

2) Will the extra distance make any future unclogging a problem? I'm thinking the auger/snake can be directed into either pipe with a little extra work, maybe guiding with a skinny pole.

3) What's the best place to get the piping made or are there premade ones? I'll have to find out the size and would prefer it to be the same material, I'm guessing iron. I'm not opposed to pvc, but is it a good idea?

#10 ·
house traps are nothing but a pain the the dexterior. Anytime I've had to deal with one, I've removed it as they are not allowed here anymore. You could bust up the floor, remove the trap and add a cleanout. What you are proposing, I personally dont see a problem with doing. All you are changing is the depth of the cleanouts. I guess you could glue a couple of male adapters to the appropriate sized piping, then set two new cleanouts at finished floor level. Just be aware that you may very well need to get rid of that trap at some point in the future.

#11 ·
Thanks. I don't think I would want to get rid of the trap. Seems like alot of work to tear up the floor especially since the pit is tight and deep, so I'd have to make that larger as well. What is so bad about the trap? Just causes clogs?

Does anyone know where to look to find a metal pipe that would screw onto the cleanout?

#15 ·
In case you didn't read it : YOU MAY VERY WELL NEED TO GET RID OF THAT TRAP IN THE FUTURE.

If you're planning on burying the thing under 16" of concrete, IMO now is the time to remove it. You think it sounds like a lot of work now? Wait until you bury it and it needs replaced.

:laughing: :no:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.