DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Raising 2 Dif Floor Lvls to One?? Help

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  DukeLewis87 
#1 ·
I have an L Shaped House been modified a few times by previous owner. Which house hasn't right? Anyhow

http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/first-house-guttin-her-doin-right-175714/

Pic 49(1st one)

It is two solid different concrete pads, two different levels. I have removed the wall in between them. Rebuilt the exterior walls. I am going to put a sink on the left side far concrete pad room(Centered on the wall of that room "Kitchen"). Drain pipe for sink/dish washer. How much would I need to build the floor up for a good drain.

Also I will be making both concrete pads one all the way across. I was thinking of making like a deck structure made of 2x4 or 2x6 if needed.

#5 ·
I'm not a pro plumber ... You might post in the plumbing forum ... but my understanding is that one should pitch drain pipes 1/4 inch per foot...and may go down to 1/8 inch per foot if the pipe is upsized one size.

Now I may be wrong on this. Again, the plumbing forum will probably give you some pro answers

#6 ·
I moved this to plumbing---

I see two questions---
How do I level up the mismatched floor heights

What is the best plan to install my plumbing---

To answer the plumbing question---we need an idea whare the main lateral line is----

As to the flooring---what would you like to use as a finished floor covering?
Ceramic tile? Carpet? hardwood? Something else?

Answer those and you will get good answers.---Mike----

#7 · (Edited)
I will not be leveling up to the floor height of the 24'x36'. As for leveling the concrete pads up to one level just high enough to run a drain+supply line atleast 1.5" above the floor when it comes out of the 24'x36' so it misses those floor truss plates, if not ill be drilling a hole threw a horizontal plate :/

Anyhow to finally answer it. I was planning on using 2x4's or 2x6's where the kitchen will be and then use engineered header board for the bottom level???? And make a subfloor structure.

2x4,2x6,Engineer wood???? What type of wood would you all use?

If 2x6's were used for the top level concrete pad room. I would almost have a 15.5" level to come up to in the bottom level concrete pad room. I don't want the floor to bounce like a trampoline.

It will be a mixture of ceramic tile, carpet in the kitchen/high traffic area/living room which is the 2 concrete pads.

#9 ·
I would love to help you out- but I feel totally lost in your descriptions.:eek:
Maybe it's because I'm still on my first cup of coffee....

Your existing building drain under a slab?
Then saw cut the floor- run new 2" pipe to the sink location - grade it 1/4 " per ft- inspect it- cover and pour back the concrete.
Now you can do whatever you want with the floor heights.

It was also suggested to run 1/8" per . I advise against that on a kitchen line. Also, per UPC that can only be done on 4" and larger- perhaps your code allows it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.