Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #1

Share |

Rainwater drainage

I am experiencing flooding on my back patio. I have several solutions in place but the way my yard is set up - it continues to flood. I have installed a drain w/grate that drains to the front right side of my house. I have my gutter going to an underground pipe and flowing to the front left side of my house. But, I am on a cul-de-sac and have a pie shaped lot - with the back patio having a short backyard and level with the slab of the house. The person who installed my other fixes - says he's at a standstill because there is not enough slope to eliminate this water.

My question is - is there a "dirty water" sump pump that I could install myself that could be placed in a grate like drain - maybe battery run? Is this plausible or should I just call someone to install a pump? Thanks!

MaggieKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #2

Rainwater drainage

You can try regarding. Pictures would be nice so we could get a better understanding of your situation.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #3

Rainwater drainage

Really need that picture.
A slab at the same level as the house slab is never ever going to be a good thing.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

Rainwater drainage

Thanks for answering - The first picture shows before I added the sidewalk - I thought it would help, not so much. But there is no way I can regrade - there is a sidewalk on one side that leads to the pool and there is no way I am going to divert water there. I can't grade it towards the back because there is a house behind me and I am sure they are having similar problems. The other side of the house is higher and grading it would cause the person on that side to flood. And because I am at the back of the cul de sac, street water flows my way. Would a sump pump help?
Attached Thumbnails
Rainwater drainage-100_0219.jpg   Rainwater drainage-100_0343.jpg  
MaggieKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #5

Rainwater drainage

A sump pump will not work unless it can send the water someplace else.

You may want to put a subtle berm at the front of your property so street water does not enter. The part put on your driveway would resemble a narrow "speed hump".

Where is water supposed to flow? Was there an intended swale through various neighboring lots ending up at the street somewhere else? Is there supposed to be a swale all around the cul de sac and continuing down the street where a sidewalk might ordinarily go?

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-06-2012 at 07:22 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote