DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Radiator is leaking...HELP

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jmon 
#1 ·
I hope someone can help. I have a steam radiator and it is leaking where I circled red. This happens when the valve is turned on. It seems to be where the pipes meet. Any suggestions? Is this something I can fix without a plumber?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Inneedofhelp, welcome to the forum.

Is this your home or are you renting? As a homeowner, you could try just tightening the packing nut on the valve and the union on the radiator, may just be loose. See if that helps, if not, the next step would be to call a pro. If you're renting, then call your landlord before you do anything.

The reason I suggest calling a pro is because if the tightening doesn't help, the radiator may have to be disconnected from the valve and realigned/sealed at the union then reconnected and tightened down. Additionally, the valve may need rebuilding as well.

Sounds pretty simple but you never know what your going to run into. A pro would have all the necessary tools and skill if something broke, valve needed rebuilding or something else went wrong, etc. Just a thought. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Others will be along shortly with more advice/suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.