Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Radiator leak

Hi everyone,

Last night just before I went to bed I noticed that the radiator in the hall downstaris was leaking, not from the pipe but the radiator itself, so I closed the radiator at both ends and put an old buiscut tin underneath to collect the water which I emptied a few times. It's been leaking now for over 12 hours and shows no sign of stopping, I don't understand where all the water is coming from since it is closed at both ends. Does anyone know how I can stop it? It is a very small leak and the pressure not too great as I can stop it with my finger but the water is steadly spraying out. Any help is appreciated as it's starting to become a big worry.

Mark

nonamemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Radiator leak

If the leak is NOT from any plumbing connection but from the body of the radiator itself then the radiator should be replaced. Sounds like it rusted out from the inside.

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #3

Radiator leak

Yes it's from the body buy how do I stop it untill I get it replaced?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Radiator leak

The valves are probably not seating perfectly, so you're getting a slow constant leak from the pressurized heating loop, which is being fed by a connection to your domestic water supply near the furnace.

If your valves isolating the radiator aren't working, then you'll need to 1)turn off the furnace, 2) shut the valve between the cold water supply and the furnace (there is a regulator on this line that maintains the pressure in the heating loop, and allows water in when the pressure drops).

Then your leak might stop, so you can remove and replace the radiator. If it's still leaking, then you'll have to drain the heating loop enough that the water level is below your radiator.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #5

Radiator leak

OK, cheers. I was talking to someone a few mins ago, they said that one of the valves has to be closed completly using a screw driver, so I did that but the leaks still going, I assume the radiator is still full of water and just needs to drain?