Radiant Heater - Is It Safe To Cut? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joed

Old 01-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Radiant Heater - Is it safe to cut?

I have a boiler with those baseboard heaters.
Well in my basement (in the process of re-finishing it) there is only one baseboard heater. I want to remove it.
Here's the picture of the inlet and outlet of that single area. Pictured you will see the bypass valve (vertical one) which I have opened and the inlet valve (horizontal one) which I have closed.
The area I am pointing at is still hot so it makes me believe the Tee fitting above the bypass valve doesn't have a one-way valve or anything in it.
If I cut this section out and my boiler is running won't hot water be 'gushing' out until I can get a cap/shut off valve on it?

I hope that is clear...
I want to do this safely. Not make the cut and have 2gpm of 100+degree water pouring out.

Advertisement

awitte58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 11,524

Re: Radiant Heater - Is it safe to cut?

T fittings do no have one valves in them. If you want to cut the rad out then you will need to drain the system and cap the lines. Better yet loop them so water still flows.
supers05 likes this.

Advertisement

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 42

DO NOT cut that line with your system running! Please drain out it as joed said. Other then the harm to you, and the water damage, you could damage your boiler too.

Don't forget to re-add the heat that you're removing after your done your renovations. Without it, a part of your house will be cold.

Cheers!
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 34

Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured that was the case because a check valve in the Tee fitting would mean no portion of that closed off section would be hot.

I probably won't mess with it for now because I don't want to drain my heat source in the middle of winter.
awitte58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 430

Just curious but are there specific specs for pipes/fittings, solder, etc. for hot water heating systems or are they the same as regular plumbing? I'm not familiar with those systems.
lenaitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 248

We use our regular propress fittings for in-floor heat boiler setups so anecdotally I believe they're the same. I don't think the water is significantly different than what a water heater has potential to put out.

But like I said that's just what I think so don't bet your life on it

Advertisement

BlackTiger is online now   Reply With Quote