Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #1

Share |

Radiant CounterTop

My project is to heat a cast concrete counter top. I want to thermostatically control the temperature. I would like to circulate through my Hot Water boiler. I want to achieve this result as inexpensively as possible. I plan to use 1/4" O.D. PEX within the cast. If I tie in the ability to back flush the system I am hoping that I can avoid the heat exchanging expense. I am hoping to be able to tap into the DHW supply with a small inline pump or valve thermostatically controlled and return directly to boiler supply line. Does this sound like a reasonable idea? Your help is appreciated.

home_slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Radiant CounterTop

Just the one question. Why?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #3

Radiant CounterTop

Why not ?
I want to do the same thing
Counter top gets cold in the winter
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #4

Radiant CounterTop

The countertop I am referring to is actually a bar-top that is elevated along one edge of a kitchen island. What do people do when approaching a bar-top? Often they will lean on it with one arm or when sitting at a bar rest their arms on it. A warm surface is inviting. This surface will radiate heat into the house during the winter. If making bread the dough will rise nicely. The first reason is enough for me.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #5

Radiant CounterTop

I would look into the electric radiant heat cable used under ceramic floor tile. It would be a whole lot less complex than a pump and a valve and back-flushing. And less complex usually means less cost.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
Electric Radiant Heating

Radiant CounterTop

How many square feet of coverage is there in this top?
home_slice (10-18-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #7

Radiant CounterTop

The top is only about 9-10 sq/ft surface. It has a weird amoeba shape, no straight edges and 2" Thick. Does anybody know if they make an electric coil or tape for this application?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Chicago, IL

Radiant CounterTop

Have you considered installing a hanging fixture or two and installing low wattage IR bulbs? Whole lot less work....

------------

BTW, I've got the opposite problem... my wife keeps asking me to find a way to refrigerate a portion of one of our counter tops, so that is will be easier to roll out pastry .

I'm considering installing a inlaid section of marble above a under-counter refrigerator with the top removed, when not in use as a "refrigerated" counter top an insulated cutting board would sit on top of the marble. Whole lot more work than just cooling a piece of marble in the refrigerator...
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 10-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
Electric Radiant Heating

Radiant CounterTop

You could use a line voltage cable system with an in-slab sensor for the thermostat. That would allow you to shape the system to the top. You would have to set the top in a mortar. All electric cable heating elements of this design need to be in a mortar as a heat sink.

You could also use a low voltage system but it would cost more. You would get a much better warranty (25 years on the element compared to 10 years for line voltage) and it is a much more rugged element to work with but I think for this size system, the line voltage would be a simpler install. The low voltage system would need space for a 7" square box for the transformer in a location within 20 linear feet of the top.

The cost difference is nominal. Maybe $100. more for the low voltage system. In both cases you must use all of the element that comes on the roll so there is a calculation we could help you with for element spacing. There is no cutting or overlapping of the element.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #10

Radiant CounterTop

There are heating elements that get thinsetted down under tiles that might work if you have access to the underside of the concrete countertop.

[edit]
didn't read the above reply. Likely the same thing.
[/edit]

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, radiant