Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #1

Share |

Quick leaky faucet question

Hi all,
First post here and faced with the classic leaky kitchen faucet.

I have an older disc type faucet, and the main top screw on the handle is frozen. I'm afraid to really crank on it for fear of stripping it. My next step is to place a piece of wood under the whole assembly (it's a wall mount) to brace it, and try an impact driver to see if I can unseat it.

My question is -- does anyone know if there is any chance that this is a reverse thread screw? I've encountered reverse threads before and always felt really stupid after each discovery. Anyone know if this is common? I'd say it's probably from the late 70s or early 80s.

I'd also welcome any other clever tricks if anyone has thoughts. If we weren't planning a remodel soon, I'd just swap out the whole assembly, but I must, of course wait while my wife decides on the new one.

Edit: I forgot to add that there are no markings on this faucet indicating manufacturer, otherwise I'd dig for more info. Thanks!

Last edited by JPfixit; 12-08-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: forgot details
JPfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #2

Try using vinegar on the screw and let it set a while. It could be calcium deposits holding it tight. I hear peroxide works well also. If there is no lip to hold the vinegar on the screw, try soaking a rag and wrap around the handle.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #3

I sometimes try to go in the tighten direction, then try to back it out, sometimes you can get some movement started. On finding the brand, with only a few inches of clearence to the backsplash, I held a mirror and used a flashlight to read the name on the backside of the faucet, nice place to hide it, by the way, it was a pegusus.(?)
Old 12-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #4

get the right size screw driver on it,,,and tap with a hammer a time or three,,,it breaks the crud in the threads,,,dont wham TOO hard yet hard enough,,,multiple tries dont hurt. IF your going to try a soak penetrating oil,,,dont bother using wd-40,,,get some PB Blaster or Kroil. Actually the tapping helps get the oil down where it does the good. IF you twist it off you will be buying MORE parts,,,back and forth motion is your friend,,,IF,,its stubborn!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice peoples. I have tried tightening a little to no avail, and I'm a big fan of PB BLaster, although I miss the nostalgic smell of WD-40. When I brace it with the wood, I planned to try the "pseudo" impact driver trick with the hammer and screwdriver.

I haven't tried the vinegar or mirror behind the ole fixture tricks yet. I'll try those before I resort to more vicious methods. I know that some compression type faucets have reverse threads, so I hope that's not it. I'll keep you updates.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #6

Hey DUDE!
Thanks for the mirror trick! I was able to get the manufacturer's name -- the venerable MOEN. Although this is a pretty old fixture, I was able to find diagrams to similar models on their website.