Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Quick leak question

Where is a hot water pipe more likely to leak, the shower handle area or shower head? We had a leak appear about a week ago and after a four foot hole in the kitchen ceiling I found the leak dripping down the hot water feed line. Before I cut drywall in my bedroom I would like to know where to start. Its a stand up only shower. Thanks for the help in advance.

Brad

Bheath3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quick leak question

Most likely at the valve. The valve takes more stress than the shower head with turning the shower on and off regularly. Just a guess however.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,212

Quick leak question

Before you open the backside, remove the faceplate. You should have a good view of the valve. Now, turn on the valve and check for leaks.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quick leak question

a flashlight and a small mirror help also. i used to have to do that to find some leaks inside the wall. does it leak all the time or only when the shower is running? i've had shower arms crack on the threads inside the wall and only leak when the shower was running. a bad solder joint on the riser to the shower head or on the drop ear ell at the top would leak only when the shower was running. a rare possibility is a pinhole in the copper going up to the shower head. i've run across that a couple of times in 20 years.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #5

Quick leak question

Thanks for the help! It only leaks while the shower is on and not every time. I had the faceplate off today and ran it about 15 minutes with no leaking at all. Its a very tight fit around the faucet so it was hard to see anything. I will try again tonight with a small mirror I have (thanks for the idea). Is copper always used between the valve and shower head? All the lines Ihave seen are pex so far. Ill report back with my findings. Thanks again for the help. If anyone needs computer help im your guy but I am lost with plumbing, at least for now.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,212

Quick leak question

Could be as simple as water splashing against a poorly sealed face plate while hour using the shower
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Monster

Quick leak question

Go with e plumber, pull the faceplate off and turn on the valve the water may come out , if it does replace the valve. Also check the diverter if you have one. Maybe the caulking around the diverter. gently push on it. if it moves the seal is broken on the caulking. when water goes down the wall through the leaking seal
califmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #8

Quick leak question

Okay, I pulled the faceplate off again and could not see anything with the mirror and flashlight, the space was just too small. I. Went ahead and cut a 1 sq foot hold in the drywall on the other side. I saw a little water damage on the piece I cut out. I. Could also see where the water has been running down the fiberglass of the shower and the wood on the floor. I. Still do not see any sing of a leaky pipe anywhere so it has to be the splash from someone in the shower. I did a close inspection of the faceplate and it seems that it was sealed all around to include the small drain hole on the bottom of it. I am confident this is the problem and will reseal it properly and keep an eye on it. From experience how long should I wait before patching the walls up? I only have two weeks before i have to move and a renter moves in. I definitely want to make sure its fixed as Im moving out of state so I will have to pay someone if it leaks once I move. I really do appreciate all the help you have given me so far.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quick leak question

did you run the shower while looking in the back?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Monster

Quick leak question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheath3 View Post
Okay, I pulled the faceplate off again and could not see anything with the mirror and flashlight, the space was just too small. I. Went ahead and cut a 1 sq foot hold in the drywall on the other side. I saw a little water damage on the piece I cut out. I. Could also see where the water has been running down the fiberglass of the shower and the wood on the floor. I. Still do not see any sing of a leaky pipe anywhere so it has to be the splash from someone in the shower. I did a close inspection of the faceplate and it seems that it was sealed all around to include the small drain hole on the bottom of it. I am confident this is the problem and will reseal it properly and keep an eye on it. From experience how long should I wait before patching the walls up? I only have two weeks before i have to move and a renter moves in. I definitely want to make sure its fixed as Im moving out of state so I will have to pay someone if it leaks once I move. I really do appreciate all the help you have given me so far.
Go ahead and patch the walls up that should take care of it. Good luck to you

califmonster is offline   Reply With Quote