Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Quick help on PVC layout before I glue

I am roughing in the new laundry room in the basement. I have the waste and vent pipe all laid out, with 2 different ways to connect the washing machine box to the waste line. However - it's crowded between the studs.

With OptionA - I'm using wye to enter the waste line. Is this required? Is what I have here too close to being an illegal S-Trap?

Or can I simplify everything and use a regular sanitary tee to tie into the waste line like OptionB?

Note, the waste line going off to the right will connect a future sink in the bar area just above where the 45 ends with the cap on it. All PVC is 2".
Attached Thumbnails
Quick help on PVC layout before I glue-versiona-small-.jpg   Quick help on PVC layout before I glue-versionb-small-.jpg  

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Neither lay out will pass inspection or is to code. Both have the trap arm too close to the san-tee inlet and both are dumping into a horizontal waste that is also being used for the lav I suspect. Plus there is a pressure tee being used that is not code and a san tee on it's back which is not code and it's hard to tell by the photo but the washer drain and trap have to be 2"

Old 11-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #3

It's all 2".

Should I move the verticle drain with the sani-Tee over to the left another stud, then have the trap in the right stud, with a horizontal onnecting over to the sani-tee?

The lower waste drain will have a sink at the right end, which is why there is the vent at the far right side of the picture - though I need to use a wye there to connect to the horizontal and replace that sani-tee there.

My local plumbing inspector gave me a quick jot on a piece of scratch paper on how to assemble all of this - but of course it's too hard to decipher exactly what he had.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Licensed Master Plumber

The washer needs to dump into a 3" main all by itself.

The trap arm needs to be at least 2 and 1/2 the diameter of the pipe before it hits the san tee. San tees can't be horizontal.
hyunelan2 (11-13-2010)
Old 11-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #5

Not sure how I could do the washer into a 3" inside the wall? The whole thing empties into a pit using a 2" vent as the inlet. That's the way the inspector told me to hook it up anyway - not that I am disputing what you are saying is correct.

I'm going to redo this and take another picture - I'll probably take it in and have the inspector look at it before I glue.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMaster View Post
Just for my own education, what if the washer dumps into a laundry tub that acts as a temporary reservoir and the laundry tub has a 1-1/2" drain. Will that pass code?

Thanks,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #7

FWIW, I just looked at my existing laundry room on the main floor. The washer drains to a 2" horizontal line, which also carries the sink in the laundry room (1.5").

(house was built and passed code inspections in 2002).
Old 11-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Just for my own education, what if the washer dumps into a laundry tub that acts as a temporary reservoir and the laundry tub has a 1-1/2" drain. Will that pass code?

Thanks,
HRG
Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Licensed Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post

Thanks,
HRG
that is ok because the laundry tub has enough volume to prevent overflowing of the drain. The IPC 2009 version has made dumping the washer into 3" code and it can not share its 2" waste with another fixture.

There is no way that your inspector approved dumping the drain from anything into the pit vent pipe.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #10

I'm not disputing you at all - but that is 100% what he told me to do - Tee the existing vent to the pit and wet-vent the line into it - 6" above the lid level.

If I were not going to do it that way, should I just put a new hole in the lid of the pit, with a 3" line for the washer?

On my notes from him, he said to use all 2" PVC for the washer, with 1.5" vent and line to the sink. I just used 2" for everything for ease of shopping.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Licensed Master Plumber

You can't wet vent a washer under anybody's code. Before you get too much further over your head you probably need to get a licensed plumber in there before you end up doing something that is going to cause a problem.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #12

Quote:
that is ok because the laundry tub has enough volume to prevent overflowing of the drain. The IPC 2009 version has made dumping the washer into 3" code and it can not share its 2" waste with another fixture.
Thanks for confirming that. Your info will come in handy for future personal or helping friends use.

Quote:
There is no way that your inspector approved dumping the drain from anything into the pit vent pipe.
Guess this reply was meant for some other poster since I did not comment on that topic.

Thanks,
HRG
Old 11-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #13

Attached is a picture of the layout with the proper fittings.

Quote:
You can't wet vent a washer under anybody's code.
Though I don't doubt advice given is correct, using 2" and tieing it into the vent, with the sink at the end is 100% what I was told by the guy who will be signing off on the inspection. That was the first thing I asked before I even drew up the plans for a permit. If I had to cut into concrete or do anythign like that - this project would not have been undertaken at the current time.

Quote:
Before you get too much further over your head you probably need to get a licensed plumber in there before you end up doing something that is going to cause a problem.
Please don't take offense to this, but this is typical advice from a contractor on this forum. This is "DIY", not "how to call a contractor" chatroom.

It's a small system, not attached to the rest of the house. I have a permit and am getting inspections - I have no fear that anything bad will happen. If I was doing this under the radar and cutting corners, I could see potential for problems. But, if this is what the guy signing the permit says to do, I'll take his way over the internet way - even if that was a harder/more-complicated way. Granted, the pictures in the first post does look like a hack job as I was piecing it together without having all the fittings, but that's not how my final projects turn out.

P.S. before gluing I'll have the inspector look at this on Monday to confirm.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick help on PVC layout before I glue-imag0189-small-.jpg  
Old 11-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #14

I don't care what the inspector says, but you are going to have a problem with that short pipe comming out of the trap for your wash machine, most codes call for a minimum of 18in, what's going to happen is the discharge water of the machine will keep backing out of the drain.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to braindead For This Useful Post:
hyunelan2 (11-13-2010)
Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #15

Thank you, I can move the box over another stud to lengthen that sort piece. Or are you talking about the vertical piece between the box and trap?

I thought I'd add - I am not adverse to calling a contractor because I'm cheap or don't want to pay for it. I have no problem spending money (ask my wife). Home improvement is my hobby, and I like to do this stuff. Some guys fish, some guys ride motorcycles, I like to tear apart and rebuild my house.

I'm in no total rush to complete this space, so I have the time to do it so it will last. If I was under a time crunch and needed it done, I'd call someone to do it. Being that I'm not, I want to learn a bit along the way - as rough plumbing is not something I have to deal with very often.

EDIT: Vertical minimum is 18". I will adjust accordingly. Thanks for catching that.

Last edited by hyunelan2; 11-13-2010 at 05:18 PM.