Questions On LPG Piping And Flaring Copper - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Questions on LPG piping and flaring copper

Hi all, looking for a little technical help on hooking a LPG range into existing LPG tanks. I've done enough "black pipe" work to have a good enough idea of what I'm doing, but haven't done much in the way of single flaring with copper before. I'm planning on running my black (1/2") pipe through my floor, coming up underneath my gas range, where I'm installing my emergency shut off, then going to a short piece of flared copper into the inlet of the range.

How much copper should stick up from flush of flaring tool to do my flares with 1/2" copper??

How much pressure is typically put into the system to test the fittings, and make my building inspector happy ??

Is the pressure test typically done with the shut off in the "open" position so that my range valves take the test pressure??

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sam

Advertisement

Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

>>>my black (1/2") pipe through my floor, coming up underneath my gas range, where I'm installing my emergency shut off, then going to a short piece of flared copper into the inlet of the range.<<<

The first thing you need to know if copper is allowed in your jurisdiction.

>>>How much copper should stick up from flush of flaring tool to do my flares with 1/2" copper??<<<

Most flare tools have the tube stick up flush.

>>>How much pressure is typically put into the system to test the fittings, and make my building inspector happy ??<<<

Most gas is tested to the range of 15lbpsi, but you still have to check with your (jurisdiction), they are not all the same.

>>>Is the pressure test typically done with the shut off in the "open" position so that my range valves take the test pressure??<<<

Most tests are done with the valve open and capped off, (YOU DO NOT TEST THRU YOUR APPLIANCES,THEY WONT TAKE THAT HIGH OF PRESSURE)

KEEP IN MIND THAT PROPANE IS NOT LIKE NATURAL GAS, YOU CAN'T VENT IT BY OPENING A WINDOW, SINCE IT IS HEAVIER THAN AIR IT WILL FALL DOWNWARD AND POOL, ONE SPARK AND YOU HAVE A BOOM!

PS. IF YOU USE PIPE JOINT COMPOUND READ THE LABEL, SOME CAN'T BE USED ON PROPANE.

Advertisement

Last edited by braindead; 12-13-2010 at 07:27 PM.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to braindead For This Useful Post:
Sampson (12-13-2010)
Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

why in the world would you want to hook your range up with copper tubing. go to the hardware store and buy a stainless steele flex line, no fuss no hassle and safe. I doubt the inspector even cares if the range is hooked up
hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
why in the world would you want to hook your range up with copper tubing. go to the hardware store and buy a stainless steele flex line, no fuss no hassle and safe. I doubt the inspector even cares if the range is hooked up
Yes SS Flex is the way to go and has a little wiggle room,
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote