Questions Before I Pay The Plumber - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 198

Questions before I pay the Plumber

I just had a plumber re-do a bunch of work in my basement, including moving my hot water heater, installing new boiler and re-running gas and water lines in the basement. There are a couple things that bothered me that I want some opinions on

1. In a couple of spots, on short runs, he used red for cold and blue for hot--I'm assuming because he ran out of materials and wanted to finish.

I'm I being too picky if I raise a fuss about this? I'm kind of anal and it bothers me a little bit, even though I will probably end up insulating anyways.

2. He ran new pex pipes to my kitchen sink (which run through the floor under the sink, but they are not secured really and just float under the sink with the shut-off valves. Should these be secured somehow? Also, I had some nice ball valves under there and these were replaced with crappy turn valves. Should I make him put on better shut-offs under there?

3. Water heater was moved, there is about six inches of copper coming from the heater and then changes to pex--is that allowed, I thought I read an 18" rule somewhere. (I'm in New York).

He is coming back today so any thoughts on what I should make him fix or raise a fuss about would be appreciated. Inspector will be coming tomorrow.

Advertisement

benleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 38

I agree with you Ben you do have some valid concerns that should be discussed with your plumber and inspector.

It would of been nice and very professional of the plumber to complete the run of pipe with the proper color. Sounds like he ran out and just used what he had on the truck rather than making another trip to the store. Kind of lazy on his part. Jmho.

In regards to the unsecured pipe, it should be properly secured. Mention this to your inspector. Have it secured properly.

In regards to the supply shut offs, check to make sure they are not the 1/4 turn ball valve type. Some have a triangle shape handle, others have the traditional oval shape handle. If not, there's really nothing wrong with the older type. Again, sounds like he used whatever he had on the truck.

Finally, in regards to your water heater, I don't know the code for your area, but the inspector that you have coming out should. Definitely ask him.

Smart that you got a permit and inspector. That's the purpose of getting permits and having it properly inspected, to make sure everything is done safely and to current plumbing code for your area. Make sure everything is to code before you pay him. Just an opinion.

Advertisement

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 48

If he took the valves, without hesitation and no if and's or buts, tell him you want the ball valves back. He has no rights to those valves. If you don't get them back they will be sold to his unsuspecting next customer.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Can you elaborate on the round quarter turn valves?

I think the guys did a good job for the most part, it just seems they got lazy and rushed at the end, which is where I have my concerns. They didn't put any shutoffs to the lines going to my upstairs bathroom, which I'm definitely having them put in (I'll be remodeling at some point and to have to shut off water to my whole house to do so is insane). I was kind of pissed about the missing copper valves (I'll take a look and see if he left them under the sink before I raise a fuss). There was also a small drip leak at a fitting that needs to be fixed. Again, all of this seems to be work done at the end of the day.

They also made a mess! I had stacks of about 30 2x4s in the basement that are covered in muddy boot prints and now the stacks are a pile! Not sure why they couldn't just move them or ask me to move them. Oh, well, just venting after spending thousands of dollars!
Old 10-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 271

Were permits pulled for the work.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct18 View Post
Were permits pulled for the work.
Yes, the inspection is probably going to be tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to benleef For This Useful Post:
jmon (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleef View Post
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Can you elaborate on the round quarter turn valves?
They work the same as a ball valve. They use the 1/4 turn on/off principal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleef View Post
Yes, the inspection is probably going to be tomorrow.
Smart thinking on getting a permit and inspector.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,538

Never pay the plumber until after the inspection and only if it has been passed.

Advertisement

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-22-2015)