Questions About Copper Tubing... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Questions about copper tubing...

First, glad to find this site...looks like it has a bunch of knowledgeable people...

I'm getting into remodelling a bathroom...need to put a new vanity top and faucet as well as the tub/shower faucets...

My first question is...the house is better than 30 years old and all copper...some of the fixtures are literally hardpiped in...how long will copper pipe last...I guess what I'm asking is what is the expected life of copper? I already see one of the fittings has seeped and has corroded the pipe green...just don't want to start cutting and find the pipe is complete corroded out...

Does copper need protected...like cathodic? I'm not to sure that was ever a though out in this house...

I'm pretty sure I'm going with compression fittings for this small project...I would assume this would be considered a permanent solution, but will there be any metal to metal corrosion (ie. "galvanic corrosion") over the long haul??

Thanks,
steve

Advertisement

SDeeter19464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

...but we had galvanized pipe leading to copper in the bathroom. I think the green tarnishing on copper pipe is not necessarily a sign of leakage, but could be due to general moisture, sweating, or humidity in the air. If you can get away with it, just leave it.

I hadn't sweated a copper pipe in my entire life when I started, but by the end of the day I had redone the shower, sink, and toilet without any leaks, so I would recommend this over compression fittings, which can crack. Sweating pipe is suprisingly easy, and goes fast once you get the hang of it.

As far as corrosion of copper pipe, I would say not in our lifetime. I also had the water main go out, which was buried 12 feet deep, but was galvanized and even IT lasted over 50 years, and was replaced with 1 inch copper, which is the standard. That's the best part about copper, is that it does not corrode like galvanized. The only problem I have now is where the copper is joined to the galvanized. These two metals will react with one another and eventually corrode, but I'm good for another few years and it's easily accessed in the crawl space, so I can fix it later if need be.

Bottom line, if you're gonna take the time to do it, do it right, sweat the copper pipe, pressure test it, and forget about it all the rest of your days.

Good Luck!!

Advertisement

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Bill nailed it. The green that you are seeing is probably due to the flux that was used, it's common.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
Bill nailed it. The green that you are seeing is probably due to the flux that was used, it's common.
Looks like it was from water leaking to me...but hey, what do I know...

The reason I'm not doing a soldered joint is the fact of space limitations...it's tight in there, too many combustables, and I need to cut the pipe off pretty low (not that low that it couldn't be done, just proximity to heat disliking things...)

Well, guess I'll find out this weekend...hopefully I can have the top pulled (with faucets) and the new valves put in...the old ones are completely frozen...I have to turn the whole house off to work on the 2nd floor bathroom .

My goal is to get the new valves installed and then I can take my time finishing the painting and installing a new vanity top/faucets...the faucets look like 1970s originals...

Will post up with the results...

steve
SDeeter19464 is offline   Reply With Quote