Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Questioning results of ABS coupling

For a project that has edged along slowly but solidly, I just joined a new ABS offset closet flange to the the existing drain pipe under the house. The female of the flange had 1.75 inches of depth to join with before the inner bevel (lip?), but the farthest in I could get the drain pipe was about 7/8ths of an inch (about the same depth I could put the drain pipe in without any glue).

I used Oatey Medium Black ABS Cement as recommended by the hardware store, but when I was concerned that the male pipe didn't slip all the way into the female end of the flange (in other words, to do a dry-run of the actual coupling), they said that the cement would act like a lubricant and it would slip in further. It really didn't seem to, and my impression was that you wanted the end of your pipe to slide in all the way to the bevel/lip of the female...

I had filed and smoothed enough so no burrs existed from where I'd cut, and I had the outer part of the old drain pipe completely smooth. And even in the store a brand new ABS pipe would not slip into the female coupler farther than what mine did for me.

Should less than an inch of glued drain pipe be enough of a solid connection? Should I do anything more while I have access (before toilet-time), like carefully put an extra layer of ABS cement along the edge made by the top of the old drain and the flange coupler?

Thanks.

richapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 16

Could leak. Did you apply glue to both the pipe and fitting then use a board and hammer to set it into the joint?

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Yes, glue to both pipe and fitting. No, hadn't found the hint of a block of wood and hammer (and wasn't clever enough to think of it on my own). After the initial wriggling, though, I did do one big brazen hit with the heal of my hand upward, so probably equal to, like, a half of a good hammer hit.

Wonder if it would be much of a test for leakage to plug up the drain at the curve below it all (enough to hold water for a bit), and then just fill it up to the rim and let it sit with a bucket below?

Sigh.
richapple is offline   Reply With Quote