Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 02:27 AM   #1

Share |

Question removing bathroom pipe from wall

I have a question on removing the drain extension pipe from the wall. I want to replace the pipe with a shorter one so it can fit ikea cabinets. See pictures.

Basically I cannot remove this piece after removing the nut that held it in place. I would think it would remove after the nut(can be seen at the bottom of pic3) but I see that there is another white-nut thing in the back that i can try to use a wrench to unscrew it if it is clamping the pipe down but I dont want it to loosen it if it going to loosen improperly the other end of the pipe in the dry wall.

Does anyone know how I should proceed? I dont want to apply too much pressure breaking something behind the drywall if I am not supposed to or jump to conclusions without hearing from some others with more experience.

Thanks any ideas would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Question removing bathroom pipe from wall-imag0039.jpg   Question removing bathroom pipe from wall-imag0040.jpg   Question removing bathroom pipe from wall-imag0043.jpg  

Last edited by caicom98; 10-21-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added solved to thread title
caicom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
DIY staff

That trap arm has gotten stuck with corrosion---I usually crush the tube a bit to free it up.

Use a very thin screwdriver---drive it in between the tube and the trap adapter (pipe in the wall)

the trap arm is thin --it'll give up before the trap adaper is damaged.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caicom98 View Post
I have a question on removing the drain extension pipe from the wall. I want to replace the pipe with a shorter one so it can fit ikea cabinets. See pictures.

Basically I cannot remove this piece after removing the nut that held it in place. I would think it would remove after the nut(can be seen at the bottom of pic3) but I see that there is another white-nut thing in the back that i can try to use a wrench to unscrew it if it is clamping the pipe down but I dont want it to loosen it if it going to loosen improperly the other end of the pipe in the dry wall.

Does anyone know how I should proceed? I dont want to apply too much pressure breaking something behind the drywall if I am not supposed to or jump to conclusions without hearing from some others with more experience.

Thanks any ideas would be great!
some of the plumbers in my area soldered them in also ....making it tough to replace it...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #4

Guys, look real close at that trap where it goes into the adaptor, looks like it was threaded in, not just a cheap thin slide in.
Why else would there be a brass insert in the PVC?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
DIY staff

Joe---the pipe looks like painted steel to me (ror brass) you can see the retaining nut is paint covered---
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #6

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...2993C4&first=1

Looks like one of these to me.
The brass ring was to keep the fitting from cracking like often happens with a soild PVC adaptor.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #7

it's a brass desanko threaded onto a piece of galvanized. the trap is just stuck in it. sometimes a twist on the trap arm will loosen it or you may have to use a thin screwdriver like someone suggested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...I&linkCode=asm
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #8

Ahh yes. It does look something like this http://www.abwplastics.co.uk/ekmps/s...aded-719-p.jpg
I will give it a try to wiggle it out. Then I will try to wrench out this adapter if it appears to be stuck. I will fill you guys in if I have success
Old 10-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

It's a brass trap adapter screwed on to a galvanized nipple. Typical of older homes with galvanized plumbing. You're lucky if the trap isn't soldered in.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #10

I was able to remove it. I added some WD-40 and let it settle for a few minutes. A simple turn as suggested did the trick. Good thing it wasnt soldered or glued on.
I found some pretty bad build up going on inside. I removed it. Seems like some sand/drywall powder buildup from some previous work around the house (from washing hand, etc). Good thing I was able to get this cleared up while I am redoing the pipes.

Thanks everyone that commented and helped out.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

What do you mean by wanting to fit in a Ikea cabinet? They are standard sizing, just like any other cabinet. Most people will just cut a rectangle from the back, so they do not have to do any plumbing changes.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
What do you mean by wanting to fit in a Ikea cabinet? They are standard sizing, just like any other cabinet. Most people will just cut a rectangle from the back, so they do not have to do any plumbing changes.
50 bucks says it has drawers.

oh'mike (10-22-2012)