Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #1

Share |

Question regarding replacing a fiberglass tub in a apartment!

Hi I am trying to replace my fiberglass tub but live in an apartment on the 2nd floor. All the directions I read say to cut out below the tub to remove the plumbing and drains, but I unfortunately canít do that. What is my alternative to getting the tub out without having access to the first floor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Chris

Chris112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #2

Why are you replacing the tub in an apartment? Could you get to the drain if you cut out the drywall on the opposite side of the wall?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #3

I'm replacing the tub because its the original in the appt. from 20-30 years ago. Its that ugly almound color and the floor has cracks and is a little bouncy.

Behind the wall with the drain, controls etc.. is a bedroom closet. I do have access to that, are you telling me I should be able to access the drain from the wall next to the tub?

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris112 View Post
I'm replacing the tub because its the original in the appt. from 20-30 years ago. Its that ugly almound color and the floor has cracks and is a little bouncy.

Behind the wall with the drain, controls etc.. is a bedroom closet. I do have access to that, are you telling me I should be able to access the drain from the wall next to the tub?

Thanks for the quick response!
There's a possibility you could reach the drain from that wall but it's not the ideal situation. You'll most likely have the supply lines to contend with and depending on the floor cutout, space could be tight. Is the landlord good with this?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #5

I own the unit.. Its actually a condo, but better explained as a apartment since there is a unit below me..

So assuming I don't have access below the tub, what are my options?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #6

I think a good start would be to cut out the hole and see what you're working with. You may get lucky and have a lot of room to get in there. There's a few plumbers on here, so if you give it a while you might be able to get some good suggestions from them.

Last edited by jerryh3; 01-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #7

ok.. so your saying to cut out a hole towards the floor in the closet behind the plumbing? Just want to confirm...

Thanks.. any idea what my alternative is if I don't have access?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #8

Access from the closet is not a bad idea. If nothing else cutting open the back of the closet will make it easier to to hook up a new waste & overflow once you get your new tub and surround installed. Not to mention installing a new tub/shower valve.
You can probably get started by removing the old
shower head assembly and the tub spout. You may want to install temporary caps or plugs in case you accidentally turn the valve on after disconnecting the tub drain. Then remove the handle and trim plate from valve. Next you can remove the strainer from the tub drain by inserting a pair of needle nose pliers in the cross member of the strainer and placing a screwdriver between the handle of the pliers for leverage and try unscrewing it. Sometimes the strainer is a likttle stubborn. You can probably find and specialty tool for this purpose and your local hardware store. Now remove the screws from the overflow trim plate.
If all goes well i you should be ready to start demo-ing the tub. If you use a sawsall be careful not to cut the water lines supplying the t/s valve.

kitsapjack is offline   Reply With Quote