Question: Custom Shower Pan (problems) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Question: custom shower pan (problems)

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with making a custom shower pan. I hired a handyman to fix a few things around asked him if he could do the tiling in my bath remodel. Hes done all other jobs to satisfaction, but seems like he doesn't know how to pass the inspection for shower pan leak test. (i am in california)

First he put down a 40mil gray sheet liner over the plywood. Then he painted on REDGARD brand paint on liner to seal gaps (very expensive). That didn't work. Now he put on a gallon of wet patch roof cement. Currently I'm waiting for the the cement to dry. (its like a black tar).

Anyways. this has delayed my project severly. Can someone please guide me how to make the pan leak proof and what type of material is going to work for me.

Here are a couple of photos

Oh, btw he did put on cement first and sloped it. The inspector said he wants to see the liner sealed, before we put cement He put down the 40 mil liner and poured cement, sloped it. and the inspector failed it because he wants to see the pan leak proof before cement. So he broke and removed the dry cement and painted it with redgard. but that didsn't stop the leak. now he has put the tar on it.

i'm willing to tear it all up and redo it right

Advertisement

Last edited by nuklep; 03-21-2010 at 09:27 PM.
nuklep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Where is the leak at?

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

This pan is like no other that I have seen. I know California still uses hot mopped tar. Around here the custom pans are seamless pre-sloped liner--adjustable drain and deck mud--

This site has the details--Shower Construction Info (a collection of posts) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

I don't know any thing about hot mopped tar--Mike--

I just noticed the green board---What is that doing there? Are you going to use a membrane over that?

Green board has no place in a wet area.(unless it's completely sealed with a water proof membrane)

Last edited by oh'mike; 03-21-2010 at 10:26 PM.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Around here we CAN use hot mopped shower pans, but nobody ever does.

I'm not really sure how they seal the corners of the pvc liner though.

For the walls, they use greenboard, a sealer, then backerboard, then tile.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #5

Smile

i don't know where the leak is, but whenever i fill the pan, get a puddle flowing into the walkin closet next to it (still subfloor).

this is 'cold application' roof cement. Its been two days, its not dry yet. The green board has 6 inches of liner behind it. and i'll be putting a 'hardyback' tile board before tiling.

I had used 'redgard' waterproofing membrane first (its the red/pink material in the photos), but it did not help, It still had leaks. Next he did some sealing with roof tar and blowtorch. That didn't help. Then we put out this roof cement everywhere.

If this passes inspection, we'll be puting mortar/cement and level for waterflow. But my intuition says this rubbery roof cement might not be a good idea beneath the layer of cement.

If i were to do it all over again. What do I use to seal the 40 mil pvc liner with (the corners and the drain hole)? And the inspector wants to see the liner sealed before we can pour mortar/cement

ps: not sure if mortar is the correct term. i am just trying to distiguish mortar like cement and roof tar like cement.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
DIY staff

There should be no seams to seal--one full piece of membrane with the corners FOLDED so it will go up the wall.

Make this simple--it late---go to the kitchen right now and get a cake pan and a roll of tinfoil.

Fold the tinfoil (in one piece) into the cake pan--there you have it--water proof cake pan liner-

tomorrow do the same thing with a new sheet of the shower liner--NO SEAMS==NO LEAKS

Read the post I sent you to--and made sure that you have the correct drain set--silicone that as you set the hold down ring.

Remember-fold--no seams==no leaks--Mike--

P.s.--the green board still doesn't belong there--it is in the pan and will dissolve,slowly -the pan holds water-

Please read the shower building post.--Mike--
Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #7

Smile

so to be sure, you recommend I just scrap the current plan and go in with a fresh liner?

I feel the bench might pose a problem when putting the liner, the curved edge seems like will force me to strech/modify the liner.
How high should I cut the greenboard?

posting another angle of the pan:

Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
DIY staff

Nukleb--I suggest that you remove your bench and start with a rectangle.

Install your liner--folded not cut---put more liner material on the studs where your bench will go--about a foot higher than the top of the bench and a foot or more wider.

Get the green board out of the shower--it does not belong in a wet area--

Replace the drywall with Durrock,

Build a masonry bench on top of the pan after you finish the mud bed.

When your seat leaks (if? ) the water will stay in the pan.---Have you read the John Bridge shower pan post?

It's all there.

Mike

Advertisement