Question About Water Shutoff - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Question about water shutoff

I had a drippy faucet on my utility sink, which is about 25 years old. I turned off my water from the main valve and took off the faucet to replace the washers, which were worn out. I noticed that the cold water did not stop, even though the water was turned off in the house. The only way I could make it stop coming out is if I opened the sink in the bathroom, which is the next room over. My question is this, if there was always a drip, or at least for as long as I can remember, will it back up and possibly burst a pipe now that the pressure can't be alleviated through the dripping? Also, why would the water not shut all the way off if the main was shut off? Thanks

Advertisement

joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

The water won't "shut off" because it is probably just residual water left in the supply lines draining out. It will stop once all of it drains out.
Stopping a leak will not burst a pipe. They're made to handle far more pressure than your water supply.
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #3

I had the water off for over 2 hours and it was still coming out and the main was definitely shut off. I am really just worried about the pressure building up in the pipe along the line and bursting at a seam, not so much at the faucet. Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 AM   #4

Couple of questions and I will answer at the same time

1- You said you had the water off, but did you have the lowest faucet in the house open? No- As someone else mentioned the water was possibly from water that was stored in the Pipes above the faucet you were working on. Just turning off the water does not drain the house
Yes- Well sound like you have a faulty water valve... I would guess it is not a Ball cock valve and is likely a compression valve... Look up Pics on Google if you are not sure. Compression valve I feel suck as Shut off valves and i would replace it.

2- Will the Pressure build up and break a Pipe- Answer No, but if you have a broken pipe and the Main shut off is FAILING... Well you will have no way to shut off the water!!! And you can not Solder a pipe with water in it

Good Luck
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #5

Thanks for all your help. I did not have the other faucet on the whole time, but when I did it stopped the water in the laundry room, not sure if it stopped in the bathroom, eventually. I have a regular valve on the shutoff, like one that is found on an outdoor hose and I have to turn it about 40 times to turn it off. I would love to replace it, but do I have to have the town shut the water off for that?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #6

In my area the houses have a water meter located out front of the house. Legally you are not allowed to turn it off, but in my opinion everyone should know how to as a back up if the water line breaks before your shut off valve but in the house. that could be disastrous. So if you have a water meter you can usually turn it off with a set of channel locks if it is the same as here. Just remove the lid and give the knob on the top a spin.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:49 AM   #7

The water meter is inside, next to the shutoff. Not sure where the outside shutoff is. Would it be within 10 feet or so of the meter, but outside?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #8

Ours are on the Meter here and it is outside... May want to talk to a Plumber in the area familiar with the valves... Sorry i cant help on that one
Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #9

I will. Thank you very much for your help.

Advertisement