Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

Share |

Question about valve repair

I sure hate to ask a dumb question but here goes anyway.

Is it possible to repair a packing leak on a water supply valve to the ice maker?

After making the repairs to our home after Hurricane Ike, I discovered the leak when I put the frige back in place and hooked up the supply line to the refrigerator. When I opened the supply valve in the wall, water gushed out around the valve stem. I quickly shut it off and that is the way it has been since 2009.

I don't know if the valve can be removed, or if it would have to be de soldered and a new one put in it's place.

The house was built in 1983 if that helps.

I guess my last resort would be to call a plumber. I would rather fix it if I can.

Your thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Just replace the valve. Shark Bite fittings are great things, if you cannot find a Compression fitting valve.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Tighten the packing nut.... or what do you have???
Old 07-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

MT Stringer- it depends on the valve. There are some with repairable packing.
Have you tried to tighten the packing nut slightly with an adjustable wrench?
Some times the nut will catch on the stem and loosen slightly- causing a leak.

Other valves can't be fixed and need replacement.
Depending on the valve location, this can be easy or difficult.
Can you cut the pipe behind the valve and install a 5/8"x1/4" compression stop?
Or as Greg mentioned- a "sharkbite" push fit valve?
Either one will require about 1"-1.5" of exposed pipe to attach to

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies. I need to pull the refrigerator out and take a closer look at the valve. If I remember right, the valve is in a well, sorta like the kind used for washing machine hoses. I might be wrong. Afterall it has been 4 years and I have slept many times since then.

I don't recall if I tried to tighten the packing or not. I'll try that first and If that doesn't work, I will take a pic so I can post it here.
Thanks
Mike
Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

I would not try to tighten the packing, if it is one of the supply type faucets for sinks and toilets. Most do not have the ability. Just go get a 1/4 turn shutoff to replace the old one. If the existing is a compression type, you will need to use a cut off blade on a Dremel tool to cut the ring off.

Just go easy with the wheel, otherwise you are going to cut right into the piping where the compression ring is, and then you end up having to cut that section off, and if not enough stub sticking up, you end up with another issue of having to fix that.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I need to pull the refrigerator out and take a closer look at the valve. If I remember right, the valve is in a well, sorta like the kind used for washing machine hoses. I might be wrong. Afterall it has been 4 years and I have slept many times since then.

I don't recall if I tried to tighten the packing or not. I'll try that first and If that doesn't work, I will take a pic so I can post it here.
Thanks
Mike
post a picture if you can't get the leak stopped.
There are alternatives to cutting the pipe- depending on the existing setup

Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #8

Here is a pic. I cracked the valve open and water sprayed out around the stem. So I opened it all the way and back seated it. The leak stopped.

Looks to me that the valve is soldered to the copper tubing. That sucks.

At least the ice maker is making ice. I plan to purge it for a few days.

This leak has been a problem in the past and I wasn't aware of it. I need to replace the drywall around the plastic well the valve is in. Probably a foot or so square which I can do easily.

Do you think it is plumber time?

Thanks for your advice.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Question about valve repair-20130723_171214-1-1-.jpg  

Last edited by MT Stringer; 07-23-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

You have enough sticking out for a compression or Shark Bite fitting. Use a hacksaw to cut off that old one, then use 80 grit Sandpaper to take off all that crud, to get a good seal.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #10

Another option is to take the valve stem to a hardware store and see if you can find one matches.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #11

Thanks for all of your replies and advice. I had never heard of Shark Bite fittings, but now I have. After watching several videos, that looks like it will be the way to go for me.

I need to do some drywall repair around that area, so I plan to combine it with replacing the valve. I will post some pictures of the before and after repair job.
Thanks again.
Mike
Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #12

And now for an update. Repairs are underway. I have some pics to post later.

This whole ordeal started when my wife decided we needed a new fridge. To fix the leaking valve, it needed to be replaced and some drywall was deteriorated. I cut some of the drywall away and we discovered ants! At least the remnants of ant activity. No live ones.

So, I cut some more of the drywall out so now I have an opening 23 1/2 wide x 18 high. This made it easy to remove the nails that had the plastic well held in place. I actually lowered it as much as possible, then cut the 1/2 inch copper pipe just above the old valve. I lucked out and got a clean, square cut. :-)

Boy, that sharkbite fitting (angle valve) is the cat's meow. I now have the new one in place, the plastic well secured in just the right spot, a new piece of drywall installed and muddied. We doctored the inside of the wall with some Home Defense before closing up the hole.

Tomorrow I will lightly sand the skim coat of mud and spray on the texture and paint the wall. I have a new piece of trim to paint and install also. A little caulk and that should complete the repair.

The new refrigerator will be delivered Tuesday. I have never had one of those fancy refrigerators so this should be a treat...it even has indoor plumbing with running water and crushed ice in the door! Am I behind the times or what! This should be the last one I will have to buy, or I hope it will be the last one.

My son will be over next weekend to pick up the one we have now. It still works just fine...just no indoor plumbing! :-)
Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #13

That's a lot of work for a new fridge

Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #14

Repairs are complete. Bring on that new fridge!
Here are the pics, a couple of which aren't very good. Sorry about that.
With bad knees, I have trouble working in low places. My wife did a great job helping me. I handed her the Roto Zip and she had the drywall cut away in no time.

After cutting off the old valve, the new one was installed, new drywall patched up the hole and it was ready for paint. A couple of new pieces of trim and the repair is complete. It's not perfect, but the end result did turn out pretty nice.

Thanks once again to everyone that offered their advice and help.
Attached Thumbnails
Question about valve repair-20130802_121153.jpg   Question about valve repair-20130802_133050.jpg   Question about valve repair-20130802_145653.jpg   Question about valve repair-20130802_145703.jpg   Question about valve repair-20130804_135323.jpg  

Question about valve repair-20130804_212234.jpg  

Last edited by MT Stringer; 08-05-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
Retired from the grind

Nice work. Nice seeing that the wife got involved. A lot of times, you cannot get the girlfriend or spouse involved, due to they do not want to get dirty, break a nail, or afraid that they may break something.