Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Question about old shower drain removal

I've removed all the old tile in preparation for building my new shower pan. My question is how do I remove the old shower drain sleeve (below) without damaging the drain pipe. I thought this should screw off but it looks like there is concrete between the sleeve and the pipe. I guess I could just cut the sleeve and then gently chip away at the concrete. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Remodeler

That looks like a 40-50 year old job where the copper drain pipe was sealed into the drain cup with oakum (heavy oily fiber-like strands of thick rope that were used to pack in and seal around drains) and molten lead on top of that. I had this in my old 1964 master bath. There was no way to neatly take apart the drain assembly from the concrete shower pan. I had to cut the drain pipe from below, and take out the whole concrete pan.

adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
DIY staff

You have some chipping to do---I suggest you rent a small electric chipping hammer (kind of like a hand held Jack hammer)

Open a hole large enough to expose the old P-trap--Cut out and replace the P-trap with PVC---

That corroded old trap needs updating,too.

What kind of base are you building--It it's a mud base with a liner,this link might help you.Shower Construction Info (a collection of posts) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You have some chipping to do---I suggest you rent a small electric chipping hammer (kind of like a hand held Jack hammer)

Open a hole large enough to expose the old P-trap--Cut out and replace the P-trap with PVC---

That corroded old trap needs updating,too.

What kind of base are you building--It it's a mud base with a liner,this link might help you.Shower Construction Info (a collection of posts) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

--Mike--
I'm sorry I'm not replacing the P-trap I just need to get the drain straight thanks.

Last edited by tripower; 01-17-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #5

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpanko View Post
That looks like a 40-50 year old job where the copper drain pipe was sealed into the drain cup with oakum (heavy oily fiber-like strands of thick rope that were used to pack in and seal around drains) and molten lead on top of that. I had this in my old 1964 master bath. There was no way to neatly take apart the drain assembly from the concrete shower pan. I had to cut the drain pipe from below, and take out the whole concrete pan.

How did you cut it? Flush with the concrete? And what do you mean by replace the concrete pan? I am already down to the floor there is no pan?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #6

>>>What is the typical circumference of the P-trap (I am assuming the P-trap is that sleeve I was referring to)? Yes mud base with a liner.What is the typical circumference of the P-trap (I am assuming the P-trap is that sleeve I was referring to)? Yes mud base with a liner.<<<

Typical I.D. for a shower line is approx. 2in.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #7

It's hard to work just one trade at a time, sometimes. You may have to do some plumbing. Picture yourself having to fix the plumbing after you've built the shower.
Dwoodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
How did you cut it? Flush with the concrete? And what do you mean by replace the concrete pan? I am already down to the floor there is no pan?
Mine was on a second floor bathroom. The shower was a one piece poured concrete base that sat on top of the subfloor. I had access to the drain from the floor beneath. I cut the copper drain (further downstream from the trap - I cut the horizontal run that went back to the stack), and then took out the whole one piece shower floor, with the drain attached. I then put in a new fiberglass pan, and reran the drain with PVC.

Looks like you are on a slab? I don't think there would be any way around busting up the concrete around the drain, and redoing the whole drain and trap with PVC, and then repouring/repairing the concrete around the new drain.
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adpanko For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-17-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #9

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpanko View Post

Looks like you are on a slab? I don't think there would be any way around busting up the concrete around the drain, and redoing the whole drain and trap with PVC, and then repouring/repairing the concrete around the new drain.
Sorry that is not an option, next....
Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #10

in my opinion, it is your only option
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by broox View Post
Wrong again.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #12

If you clean that out some can you find a new drain assembly with a tailpipe small enough to fit inside of that?
Dwoodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by broox View Post
I agree, a new trap will allow you to several drain body options. Plus, you have the chance to clean out the trap arm while its open. Its prolly half plugged already due to its age

Last edited by TheEplumber; 01-17-2011 at 09:42 PM.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote