DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Question about a kitchen faucet (

skwpt 10-08-2007 01:38 PM

Question about a kitchen faucet
Helpful readers,

My current sink configuration is like this:

The faucet is leaking badly and is about to explode!

I want to install this faucet with a pullout spout.

What do I do with the hole left behind from my current sprayer?

Can I get a disc/washer thingy from plumbing supplies to phenoseal over the hole? Or do I have to choose a faucet based on the current sink current configuration (which I assume has at least 2-4 holes)

Before anyone suggests it, buying a new sink now isn't ideal. The new faucet is an interim thing because next summer I am having Corian counters installed with a Corian sink.

redline 10-08-2007 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by skwpt (Post 66942)

What do I do with the hole left behind from my current sprayer?

They sell cover up discs that have a threaded hold down on the bottom of them or you could install a soap dispenser in that hole.

skwpt 10-08-2007 04:51 PM

Thanks, redline. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

send_it_all 10-08-2007 09:54 PM

I was going to say soap dispenser too.
Another option is an air switch for your garbage disposal. They are pretty nifty, too.

/\/\arc 10-08-2007 11:22 PM


Originally Posted by skwpt (Post 66942)
Before anyone suggests it, buying a new sink now isn't ideal. The new faucet is an interim thing ...

Actually, I am pretty sure that any new sink would have the same number of holes as your current one.

A soap dispense is nice. Our new faucet is similar to the one you want to install and it came with the soap dispenser.

skwpt 10-09-2007 08:22 AM

Yes, a soap dispenser is sounding more and more attractive to me now. I doubt mine will come with the Moen faucet, but I saw a couple I like.

Moen model #3914 (Aberdeen):

Moen model #3910

Unfortunately, we have no garbage disposal. Not allowed where I live. I have a great compost pile, though. :wink:

skwpt 10-09-2007 08:59 AM

Hey, folks, I was just planning to use translucent phenoseal to anchor down my new sink hardware.

Do I need to use something else? Like Plumber's Putty?

It seems like using a caulk gun would give me more application control than using a putty knife.

send_it_all 10-09-2007 11:23 AM

I'm not familiar with phenoseal, but if it's anything like silicon, I wouldn't recommend using it. Plumbers putty isn't meant to adhere the faucet to the sink. It's just there to keep water from getting under it. Your faucet will be plenty anchored by just using the supplied nuts.

send_it_all 10-09-2007 11:25 AM

Also, you dont apply plumber's putty with a putty knife. You roll it into a long worm-like shape and apply it by hand. Again, it's just there to act as a gasket...not glue.

skwpt 10-09-2007 01:03 PM

Ah, thanks.

My dad (ever the helpful dad) recommended GE Silicon Sealer. He says that contractors donít like to use it because itís hard to work with and can be difficult to lift when repair or replacement is necessary, but itís (in his opinion) the best waterproof sealant on the market.

Marlin 10-11-2007 07:54 PM

You shouldn't need to use anything. The faucet should come with a rubber of plastic gasket, that's all you need.
If you insist on using something I highly recommend phenoseal or plumbers putty. It cleans up with water where as with silicone once it touches something (your counter, sink, etc) it's stained. Silicon will work and is a better sealent but you don't need it for this application. Also, what happens when it's time to change the faucet again? You're never going to clean that silicon off.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.