DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question about Adding toilet to basement

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JDC 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I live in a town Home. I currently have 1 bathroom in my house. I'm looking to add another bathroom in my basement and also finish the basement while I'm at it. I have a sewer pipe that runs down (vertically) the north side of my house, pretty much down the middle of one of my walls. in my basement I can see there's an access hole about 6 feet up from the ground, I wanted to know if I can use a saniflo system and connect to that access hole?

Also I don't know where my Vent system is, so where do I connect the Vent pipe?

I'll post a pic of my basement pipe if needed.

Thanks

Steve

#2 ·
Of course Im not there to see exactly what you have there but the pipe sounds like your main drain line that drains the entire house to the sewer system and the capped hole would be the "clean out", the access used to auger out any clog. In my opinion you could not use the clean out as the toilet connection but instead would have to establish a connection to the drain somewhere above that point. Additionally you have failed to address 2 other main issues, where is your water supply coming from? and how are you going to vent the toilet? Both of these issues could be a real challenge in a townhouse. The water supply might be the easiest to find but the likelihood that your existing vents would be large enough to add another toilet is very slim. Sounds like you need to consult a professional plumber to see if this job could be done at all. Good luck

#6 · (Edited)
Thats a cast iron stack and you're going to need cast iron soil pipe cutters to get into it. It's very heavy and can be dangerous if not supported properly during the cut. What you are wanting to tie into is indeed a cleanout and not a good point of connection. Besides, you dont need a connection point that big anyway.

As far as the vent goes, is there other plumbing already in the basement (laundry tub, washer box, etc)? If so follow the piping from the trap first vertical pipe going upward. Assuming this IS the vent (hard to tell since I'm not there looking at it) you can tie in there. If there is no plumbing in the basement, you're going to need to run a vent up through the floor into a wall where such a vent exists.

Water will probably be the easiest aspect of this project as even if you have no fixtures existing in the basement, your waterline most likely enters your home there.

My advice is to at least have a consultation with a plumbing contractor who can evaluate the feasibility of this project.

Good luck and keep up posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.