DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Quarter turn push on valves (

tuckerz 03-08-2010 11:22 PM

Quarter turn push on valves
Two questions.

1) Is the reliability of these valves acceptable and just as good as a soldered connection ?

2) Instructions say you can use these valves on copper lines. I have water lines running to sinks and toilets that are chrome plated not bare copper, maybe copper underneath (I am not plumber oriented) Maybe some smart person knows what is underneath. I have not yet taken sandpaper yet to find out. Can these type valves be installed over the chrome finish without removing the chrome ?


Just Bill 03-09-2010 07:13 AM

If you are talking about "sharkbite" fittings, they work fine if you follow directions. They are approved by most plumbing codes, and some allow use in closed walls. The pipe cuts must be square and completely deburred.

tuckerz 03-09-2010 09:31 PM

There is copper under the chrome I found out by sanding lightly. So the question remains does the chrome have to be removed to expose the copper or can the valve be applied over the chrome plating ?

the factory rep was clueless about this when I called and asked the question which is hard to believe.

Alan 03-09-2010 09:58 PM

Is it a 'removeable' push fitting? (true sharkbite) or is it a one time use?

tuckerz 03-09-2010 10:10 PM


Originally Posted by Alan (Post 412359)
Is it a 'removeable' push fitting? (true sharkbite) or is it a one time use?

Removable with a clip that has to be removed prior to pulling the shaft back to remove..

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved