PVC Water Main Supply To Copper Connection - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

PVC Water Main Supply to Copper Connection

Hello everyone! Been digging through the forums for awhile now and decided to join that I have a question about an issue in a home I just bought in Northern California.

The main water supply line from the public utility comes up out of the ground at the corner of the garage using PVC (I assume it's PVC, it's plastic and white piping). At this point there is a connection to copper which goes through a shut off value and into the side of garage into the house. There is a another shut off value in the ground down by the road. Right at the PVC to Copper connection there is a slight leak. We asked the seller to repair the leak, which he did by cutting out the connection and adding another of the same type. I noticed today it's got a slight leak again. He has a threaded male PVC connector going into a threaded female copper connector with some sort of blue sealant or glue.

What is the proper way of repairing this connection so I no longer have an issue with it? There will need to be some sort of transition from the PVC to copper and from reading everything has been recommended with mixed reviews. I don't which way is the correct way.

Thanks for the fantastic site and the help!

Jason

Advertisement

jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

That blue as you call it may be really purple. It's a cleaner and primer. It should only have been used on the PVC slip end of the fitting not the threaded part. The threads needs teflon pipe dope or tape.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That blue as you call it may be really purple. It's a cleaner and primer. It should only have been used on the PVC slip end of the fitting not the threaded part. The threads needs teflon pipe dope or tape.
Thanks joecaption for the quick reply. Besides not using teflon tape the connection is the correct one? I've seen recommendations of compression fittings rather then a threaded one.

In order to repair I'll need to cut out a section as neither side is going to turn to unscrew and add a new threaded portion with tape and call it good (hopefully)?

Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

if there is no unions on the copper pipe from the street PVC into YOUR house shutoff "street side"...or on the other side "called the house side"...copper run out to the house.......the problem? is they are threading the copper FMS X FMPT adapter onto the city PVC and then soldering the copper nipple from YOUR house shutoff ...melting the sealant.need a copper union or cut back the copper adding a slip coupling so you can solder first.....then thread it onto the PVC MPT from the city into the copper FMPT.anytime you solder near a threaded sealant you have to build a piece of pipe on bench.then screw it into the PVC male or female doesn't matter...then continue soldering away from the sealant
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 334

i think this is the type of adapter that you want. one side is slip for pvc and the other side is a compression fitting for the copper. you push in the copper pipe (cut it straight and remove burr), then tighten the nut hand tight for a pressure fit. pretty simple.

NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
i think this is the type of adapter that you want. one side is slip for pvc and the other side is a compression fitting for the copper. you push in the copper pipe (cut it straight and remove burr), then tighten the nut hand tight for a pressure fit. pretty simple.

That actually looks pretty easy and doable. Now to track one down

Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,652

Quote:

I'd be worried it would blow off
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I'd be worried it would blow off
After thinking about it last night, I thought the same. Someone else on a different forum also suggested using a "Sharkbite" connector. Those also look like push on fittings. I don't know what the pressure is of an incoming main water supply, but I'm guessing it's kinda high.

I also seen a few posts not to use a make fitting on the copper side as the female fitting on the PVC side wouldn't have room to contract because of temp change and would end up cracking the fitting.

Attached is a picture of the connection. I'm thinking of keeping the same types of connectors, just doing it better and using teflon tape.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 334

you definitely cannot use threaded fittings to connect copper to pvc. if you are in doubt about the compression fitting (which is specifically designed for this purpose), i'm not sure what to tell you. the compression fitting has a metal ring angled inward that "bites" into the copper line, preventing it from backing out. it essentially is a one way fitting, once you push it in you can't get it back out. take a trip to the store and check them out, when in doubt, take a closer look at one or talk to someone there.

this is not an uncommon thing, tons of homes around here have pvc mains that connect to copper for the rest of the house.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the help. I haven't gotten to this project but have plans to complete this coming weekend. All of your points have been very helpful.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
you definitely cannot use threaded fittings to connect copper to pvc. if you are in doubt about the compression fitting (which is specifically designed for this purpose), i'm not sure what to tell you. the compression fitting has a metal ring angled inward that "bites" into the copper line, preventing it from backing out. it essentially is a one way fitting, once you push it in you can't get it back out. take a trip to the store and check them out, when in doubt, take a closer look at one or talk to someone there.

this is not an uncommon thing, tons of homes around here have pvc mains that connect to copper for the rest of the house.
First of all you can use a male pvc adapter to connect to a female copper.

Shark bites won't work because they don't fit PVC only CPVC.

Don't use a compression fitting on PVC and especially below ground.

If you have a female copper fitting then get a Sch80 Male adapter. Then get a PVC repair coupling sch40. A repair has no ring and will let the coupling slide completely on a n end of a pipe.

This is the tricky part. Clean and glue the Sch80 male adapter on a piecs of pipe long enough to reach the supply pipe. Clean both ends and the repair coupling and then glue both ends and the repair coupling, very fast slide the reapir coupling on one of the pipe ends and the line up the other end sliding the repair coupling onto it. Put 1/2 of the coupling on each end of the pipe.

Using a Sch80 adapter adds strength so that it wont break under stress.

Good luck.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plumber101 For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-07-2012), TheEplumber (02-06-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Maybe make a referance mark on the pipe so youll know the half way point for the repair coupling

Advertisement

Tags
copper , leak , main supply , pvc , water main