Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #1

Share |

PVC slip couplings

I need to redo some of my vent stack in order to fit a new shower base. The vent comes down the wall and then uses two 45 elbows right at the floor. I can't use normal 3" couplers because I can't get enough movement between the upper and lower stack pipes to get all the fittings in place. I have read about slip or repair couplings that you can slide over the 3" pipe and then put the fittings in place and then slide the couplings into place. What is the best way to do this? I tried one tonight and have a small leak and will need to retry it tommorrow. So what is the best method to prime and glue these fittings? I primed the fitting and then slid it on and then primed the pipes and then applied glue to the pipes and then slid the coupler into place but it has a small leak. Is there a different order I should have done for this? Thanks
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

PVC slip couplings

Are you referring to a fernco as the the device that is leaking?
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

PVC slip couplings

If it is all together and leaks try this. Connect one end to a shop vac. Then brush the glue on the leaking joint. The vacuum will suck in the glue and seal it. Otherwise cut it out and use a fernco coupling. These are rubber fittings with two hose clamps.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #4

PVC slip couplings

You need a Fernco or No-hub coupling. Make sure you tell the person who you buy it from that it is for PVC.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

PVC slip couplings

Ferncos and no hub couplings are alot easier for most DIYers to use. If you do use a slip coupling...

1) measure the coupling. Divide that measurement in half and transfer that to both sections of pipe to be joined. This will give you a reference as to where to stop the coupling.

2) if using on a vertical, plan on putting the coupling on the TOP section of piping and sliding it DOWN. Its easier to fix a little seeper of a leak on top than it is bottom after all is said and done. As you slide the coupling down the glue will be pulled down more in the bottom section of the coupling.

3) CLEAN the pipe and the inside of the coupling with water. Use some sandcloth to take the shine off the pipe and the inside of the coupling. Dont use primer or cleaner as this can very well lock the coupling in before you have it where it needs to be.

4) LIBERALLY apply the solvent cement to the piping. Let it drip. As you pull the coupling down do so with a twisting motion allowing the solvent cement to spread and get any air bubbles out. After the coupling is where it needs to be apply more solvent cement around the top of the coupling.

Sounds like quite a bit to keep in mind, huh? Like I said before...ferncos and no hub couplings are alot more DIY friendly.

Last edited by JDC; 04-02-2009 at 09:03 PM.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #6

PVC slip couplings

Thanks for everyones help. I ended up using a slip coupling and it worked out. The last one I slid up and this time I slid it down like suggested and it all worked out great.

Just for future knowledge are the fernco fittings allowed in sealed walls behind drywall or do they need to be accessable? Also does the rubber ever deteriorate or will they last a life time? Thanks again for your help.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

PVC slip couplings

They can be used in concealed walls, embedded in concrete or buried.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote