Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

PVC sink drain pipe...

Question about PVC. I am building a stud wall...in my bathroom. It's a wet wall..or half of one. My house was built in the early 50's and has two back to back 2x4 walls forming a wet wall between the two adjoining bathrooms.

Problem...the waste pipe connection, where the sink drains connect, is not parallel to the stud wall that I'm building. So, instead of the sink drain pipes passing between the stud walls with minimum cutout, the sink drain, a 1-3/4 inch galvanized sink drain pipe, angles through the studs. The cutouts needed to accommodate the angled drain pipe are enormous...and from what I see...severely damage the studs, compromising their integrity.

This is a 7X5 foot bathroom...so we're talking about two studs...the same studs that I will cut out for an in wall medicine cabinet. These are the only two studs on that side of the room.

My question...is...finally. Since I'm replacing the galvanized pipe with PVC, is there a way that I can correct the angle, short of cutting off the stack and putting in a new one? Flexible, or angle...heat and bend.

I'm up for suggestions...

I would appreciate any help. I would like to be prepared to offer suggestions to my plumber when he comes out to stub in the fittings.

Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #2

PVC sink drain pipe...

Can you post a picture?

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #3

PVC sink drain pipe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Can you post a picture?
Sure, but it'll be tomorrow...thanks,
Ed
Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

PVC sink drain pipe...

As a general rule, heat should not be applied to the pipe- but I have seen it done. If the angle does not run the pipe out the wall, I'd go ahead and notch the studs, then put plywood on the side of the studs so it sisters to the stud on the other wall and perhaps a horizontal block here and there. All this is assuming the wall is non bearing of course
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-30-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #5

PVC sink drain pipe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
As a general rule, heat should not be applied to the pipe- but I have seen it done. If the angle does not run the pipe out the wall, I'd go ahead and notch the studs, then put plywood on the side of the studs so it sisters to the stud on the other wall and perhaps a horizontal block here and there. All this is assuming the wall is non bearing of course
Sistering to the other wall's studs would be a good idea, if they were plumb, and I wasn't planning on renovating/repairing the other bathroom...which isn't in good shape. So, I really can't do that...although, good idea...thanks.

Question: What size PVC is used these days for sink drains in bathrooms? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited by Ed911; 12-01-2011 at 10:14 AM.