Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

pvc shower pan liner question

hey everyone,

i'm working on building a tile shower "from scratch". i've got the first layer of mud down and presloped nicely. i'm on to installing the liner now and am having trouble with the corners. the back two corners are fine. the front two next to the curb are giving me trouble. i made some relief cuts in the liner so everything would lay together nicely. i ended up with cuts that went all the way to the mud floor though. i tried to make a lap joint to seal them up. i still ended up with a "pinhole" down in the corner which obviously needs to be sealed. i think it could have been done better had i folded the corners, my relief cuts could have stopped at the top of the curb then. i would still need to fasten the folds though which would put a staple on the inside face of the curb or about 4" up the wall.

can anyone offer advice on how to deal with these curb corners? pics, guides, or anything would be useful. all of the how-to's i've seen so far have skirted the issue.

i've already installed it as described but will do it over if necessary.

thanks for your help,
-djr

djrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #2

those flexible shower liners are available in both PVC and CPE....

from an old Extreme How-To article:
"The flexible liners conform to the various contours of the wood framing, bending upward at the walls and folding into corners. PVC liners tend to be stiffer and more difficult to work with than CPE liners, so a CPE liner might be a smart way to go for any first-time DIY'ers tackling the job. The drawback to CPE is that the material can be almost three times as expensive per square foot as the PVC product."

also, here's a link to the article which shows some photos of the corner folding. hope this helps...

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/artic...ticle_id=60342

tom_matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #3

thanks, tom. i understand that the cpe is easier to work with as it will hold its creases. the pvc goes back to original shape pretty quickly. that's not a huge deal to me though so i'll save some cash.

i've read lots of other places to leave spacing between studs to tuck the corners for the best results. it didn't occur to me that it could be done with the curb. leaving 1/4" or so between the curb and studs would make a nice place to tuck a corner and wouldn't need to be fastened. i might make that change if i need to redo it.
djrussell is offline   Reply With Quote