Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

Share |

pvc pipe and footing

Simply put, I need to run a very short length of 2" diameter PVC pipe through a footing for a 6 course high cement block retaining wall. The pipe is for a vent in a basement bathroom, the block is a retaining wall that I need to repair in my c1915 house.

Should I sleeve the PVC before I pour the concrete or is the concrete ok around the pipe? If it should be sleeved, what should I use? 3" or 4" PVC and just sort of 'float' it around the 2" pipe or should I wrap the pipe in some sort of foam/rubber....or something else??

Thanks!!

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
call me E

pvc pipe and footing

I sleeve with bigger pipe. The vent should not be in contact with concrete- especially a footing.
I assume your location is good with the structural engineer/inspector? Going through footings is not always excepted.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #3

pvc pipe and footing

Going to need some picturea on this one.
Trying to figure out how a vent would be that low.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Master Plumber

pvc pipe and footing

Some codes require a sleeve 2 pipe size bigger than the service pipe. that presents a problem when going through a footing or tie beam, i would check what your local code allows.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #5

pvc pipe and footing

I'll try to get pic posted, but for now the vent is coming from below what will be the new cement floor grade. It serves the bathtub only. Hopefully that somewhat explains why it's that low. It probably isn't as low as you might think being as it is a footing, but since I am trying to repair an existing block wall I am pouring the footing above flour grade to match some block that is a bit lower.

, the footing is coming up the height of a cement block and replacing one course of block. The footing also isn't very deep, only about 12" below floor grade, which matches existing footing.

Last edited by Master Brian; 04-10-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #6

pvc pipe and footing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Going to need some picturea on this one.
Trying to figure out how a vent would be that low.
It's a horizontal section of pipe coming off the tubs drain, it will pass through the footing before going vertical and tying into the vent stack.

I hope this makes some sense.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #7

pvc pipe and footing

Always sleeve when going through a wall/foundation with a larger diameter pipe. Two good reasons 1. the sleeve prevents the wall from dropping and keeps the integrity of the wall. #2 if the pipe needs to be replaced at any time in the future you can do it easy plus if it needs up sizing for any reason . Just good common sense.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

pvc pipe and footing

We wrap ours with a few layers of sill-foam when passing through any part of the concrete.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #9

pvc pipe and footing

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Always sleeve when going through a wall/foundation with a larger diameter pipe. Two good reasons 1. the sleeve prevents the wall from dropping and keeps the integrity of the wall. #2 if the pipe needs to be replaced at any time in the future you can do it easy plus if it needs up sizing for any reason . Just good common sense.
Not to sound argumentative, but...
1. I don't get how a larger diameter pipe would keep wall from dropping or making wall stronger, unless one used steel pipe. And 2. In my case I don't think it'll help future repairs. This is actually an interior to wall that retains dirt that the fireplace stack, which is through center of house, rests on. To do any future repairs concrete will have to be torn up and block wall likely torn out again....

That said I'll definitely encase the pipe in something to protect it and double up on steel rod around the area where the pipe goes through.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #10

pvc pipe and footing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
Not to sound argumentative, but...
1. I don't get how a larger diameter pipe would keep wall from dropping or making wall stronger, unless one used steel pipe. And 2. In my case I don't think it'll help future repairs. This is actually an interior to wall that retains dirt that the fireplace stack, which is through center of house, rests on. To do any future repairs concrete will have to be torn up and block wall likely torn out again....

That said I'll definitely encase the pipe in something to protect it and double up on steel rod around the area where the pipe goes through.
Steel sleeve yeah. Sounds like a bearing wall in the Center holding up the entire middle of the house. I didn't say anything about future repairs what I meant was if you need to up size the pipe or replace it in the future it will be easy with sleeve. Not to be short with you but I say do what ever you want. Good Luck.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Roofmaster

pvc pipe and footing

Sleeve it with steel pipe two pipe sizes bigger, and stuff backerod or fiberglass in the remaining space. Don't ask pros then argue with them. Take a bat, hang a hula hoop around the bat with the bat centered in the hula hoop. Move the hula hoop down 6 inches. Did it hit the bat?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #12

pvc pipe and footing

Again, sorry if it sounds like I was argueing, was not the intention. I totally get why it should be sleeveed and will most definately sleeve the pipe. I asked what I asked because I have read NOT to use steel pipe because it'll rust out. Hadn't seen anyone recommend steel until I brought it up.

Yes it's a bearing wall and thus very critcal to get it right. I don't feel it was done right years ago, when someone along the line either added or redid some blocking since they ran it up in columns, vs staggered. I have a mason that is going to stagger the joints, add verticle rebar in the cells and fill the cells with concrete. Over kill maybe, but I don't want it to ever be an issue and being as he's a neighbor and we exchange labor, the only cost to me is the steel and concrete!

I'm going to get him to come look again and see if the wall can be moved 4" closer to the stack and thus elimate the need for the vent to go through the footing all together.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
call me E

pvc pipe and footing

Steel or sch 40 plastic are both usually excepted for sleeving- the sleeve only needs to be strong enough not to collapse or deform during footing pour.
I normally use plastic. I use steel when the job specifications demand it.
The idea is to keep concrete from touching the pipe and allow for minor movement/expansion of the pipe or footing
COLDIRON (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
Master Plumber

pvc pipe and footing

I will give you guys the reason behind the sleeve (the change in code) if anybody's really interested.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
call me E

pvc pipe and footing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
I will give you guys the reason behind the sleeve (the change in code) if anybody's really interested.
Na-I'm good Well. OK I'm curious now