DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

PVC or CPVC pipe cement

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TheEplumber 
#1 · (Edited)
I got some primer and pipe cement at Home Depot. Primer is good for PVC and CPVC. It is not stated that the cement is good for CPVC. So I assume I will have to buy CPVC cement probably.

I went into the crawlspace and noticed that the pipes were slightly yellowish and not the true white PVC pipes. They are smaller than what Home Depot sells for PVC pipe. Smallest size is 1/2 inch for PVC pipe. I got some CPVC pipe that is 1/2 inch also but it is smaller than 1/2 inch PVC pipe by about an 1/8 of an inch. It seems like the right size pipe to use. Apparently my dad and the builder used CPVC pipe for hot and cold water. This was done in 1985. I am assuming it is CPVC pipe.

I have removed the washer and dryer from the utility room off the kitchen because I have a cat that lives there now. What I want to do is go into the crawlspace and cut the pipes there that I assume are CPVC and then cap them. I may reconnect the cold water to the outside spigot again. However, I will have to connect the pipes back together without a 30 degree angle twist. Is it ok to do that ????

So I am assuming is what is in crawlspace is 1/2 CPVC pipe put in there in 1985. Didn't want to get PVC pipe cement mixed up with CPVC. What effects could happen getting them mixed up ??? From what I read at google it has something to do with the chemicals the pipe is made out of. Picture shows PVC pipe at the top with CPVC pipe below.

:confused1:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Read what it says right on the pipe.
Your at least the third person that has said there getting rid of plumbing, or even a washer and dryer because of a cat. Makes 0 since to us.
What's a cat got to do with the plumbing?
PVC is white, PVC is yellow.
PVC should only be used for drains not supply lines.

#4 · (Edited)
The female cat I have was starting to jump up on the washer and clean herself. I already removed the washer and dryer. Keeping new washer from Sears in the garage and hauling away dryer for scrap metal. I showed the plumber the faucet and he said the cat would not mess with the faucet. I can't predict what she will do so I am going to go into crawlspace and cap the water pipes myself until I can figure out how to put the pipes back in where she won't be able to mess with them. She is about 7 lbs and getting a little bigger probably. Room used to be a garage but it was turned into a den about 9 feet by 20 feet. Cat has plenty of room with nice high ceiling that is about 9 feet high. Now she has even more room with washer and dryer gone. Picture of water faucet is in picture that I am scared she will jump up and break and possibly cause water damage.

I'm going to check water pipes in crawlspace and see if anything is on pipe indicating whether it is CPVC or PVC. If not and because it is slightly yellowish then my dad and the builder who put a den on the back side of the house used CPVC pipe for the hot and cold water to the washer. Hopefully I can do this myself and save a little money.

Attachments

#6 ·
Your the same person that has been posting all over the net with this same silly idea.
It was suggest many times you replumb it the way it should have been done in the first place with a box like this but made for CPVC and get rid of all that funky plummbing.
Why are you reposting this same story months later?

#7 · (Edited)
Final questions

I need to know whether the PVC and CPVC pipe can be sandpapered just slightly if the caps are a bit too snug. The 1/2 inch CPVC pipe seems ok but the 1/2 inch PVC pipe seems a bit too tight and I thought when I placed the pipe and cap together for either the CPVC pipe or the PVC pipe the cement could possibly get pinched and a good seal between the cap and pipe would not happen. If I decide to sandpaper the 1/2 inch CPVC pipe going to use what I believe is about 400 grade sandpaper and then use 600 grade sandpaper to decrease the diameter of the pipe. Probably won't sandpaper the pipe and may ask a few local plumbers about this. Just a question I am asking.

Today I found out by pure chance you have to spin the pipe cutter while tightening the screw to the blade. I kept tightening the screw and didn't know why it didn't cut the pipe. Nothing on package telling me to spin the pipe cutter. I figured out by pure chance the pipe cutter works pretty good. Have not decided to use hacksaw or pipe cutter.

Everyone is criticizing me for tossing the washer and dryer because of the cats. I'm sure there is a way to put a junction box with fixtures to attract to the mess pipes and it would be safe from cat. I just want to do this and playing it safe for now. Laundry mat is ok.

I had two cats but the male cat (8 lbs) got hit by car. He wasn't damaged where you could tell the car had hit him. However, I was very depressed. Keeping the female cat who is now about 7 lbs.

Don't need criticism but help here. Male cat that died is below and female I still have is above. She can now easily jump to the top of dryer that is now outside on its way for scrap metal. Keeping washer in garage. Need to save money here because plumber will charge over hundred dollars.

:confused1:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.