Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

Pvc clogging faucets

Hi, I am a newbie and would like to ask a question. I have never heard of cpvc deteriorating, but just about every 2 wks or less, I am unclogging the tub valve and sink on the hot water side. Is there anything in the hot water heater that has a plastic part? It looks like white plastic/pvc particles. We moved in this house about 5 years ago and don't know how old the water heater is. Oh, also before this new problem, the pop off valve (which I replaced about 3 years ago) has been filling up buckets of water and I put the hose in the washer and it filled it up!! The heat is set @ 120.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

hotdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

Pvc clogging faucets

I am guessing that it isn't piping, but calcium deposits you are needing to clean out from the faucets. Try draining and flushing the water heater. Operate the handle on the T/P valve. There may be a peice of trash under the seat.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #3

Pvc clogging faucets

If you water heater is really old, the problem could be from a deteriorating dip tube. There were class action lawsuits over the issue. But don't overlook flushing the unit - I had a similar problem and that fixed it.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
hotdog2 (01-06-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #4

Pvc clogging faucets

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try flushing it and working the t/p valve. It isn't calcium but it looks and feel like pcv. I believe it may be the dip tube. If I pulled it out, how can I tell...deteriorating,pitting, flaking, etc?

Thanks for the help. I'm glad it's my water heater because I'm on a slab and would have to tear the sheet rock out on the walls and it'd be a mess!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #5

Pvc clogging faucets

Been a long time since they had the dip tube problem. The dip tube, in older units, just sat in the cold water inlet on the tank. By removing the nipple, you can stick your finger in it and lift it out. Should be no doubt if it is deteriorating.
hotdog2 (01-06-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #6

Pvc clogging faucets

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Been a long time since they had the dip tube problem. The dip tube, in older units, just sat in the cold water inlet on the tank. By removing the nipple, you can stick your finger in it and lift it out. Should be no doubt if it is deteriorating.
Well l drained a little in a bucket and there it was! Plastic everywhere. Also the last 2 serial # was 86. So I guess it's time for a new one. Thanks

Last edited by hotdog2; 01-03-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Experienced

Pvc clogging faucets

You don't have to replace the tank the big box stores sell replacement dip tubes. If you decide to keep the tank and you replace the dip tube, you should replace the anode at the same time.

I am sure you will notice the difference in the longevity of sustained hot water in the shower should you decide to change the dip tube. The anode is there to increase the life of the tank.

I did mine 2 years ago, the tank was installed in 1998, still going strong.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #8

Pvc clogging faucets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
You don't have to replace the tank the big box stores sell replacement dip tubes. If you decide to keep the tank and you replace the dip tube, you should replace the anode at the same time.

I am sure you will notice the difference in the longevity of sustained hot water in the shower should you decide to change the dip tube. The anode is there to increase the life of the tank.

I did mine 2 years agor, the tank was installed in 1998, still going strong.
What is the anode?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Experienced

Pvc clogging faucets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog2 View Post
What is the anode?
The anode is located usually between the inlet and outlet on the top of the tank, its a 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" hex head fitting, attached to this is a long aluminum rod approximately 1/2" in diameter and about 4' long.

This rod is a sacrificial material to help prevent electrolytic reaction between the changing water chemistry (during the heating process) and the walls of the tank, thus increasing the useful life of the tank.

These anodes are available in the plumbing section of the big box stores.
hotdog2 (01-06-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #10

Pvc clogging faucets

The anode rod is a sacraficial metal.It attracts the electrons and gives itself to electrolisis. If you flush your tank once a year, and change the anode rod every 5-6 years.The tank will last for 20-30 years. Only 13% of the population maintain their tanks.
semore 102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #11

Pvc clogging faucets

Quote:
Originally Posted by semore 102 View Post
The anode rod is a sacraficial metal.It attracts the electrons and gives itself to electrolisis. If you flush your tank once a year, and change the anode rod every 5-6 years.The tank will last for 20-30 years. Only 13% of the population maintain their tanks.
Thanks for the help. The heater is mid 80s so I just bought a new one and glad to know about the maintaince. I don't fall in the 13%!

I know this is a stupid question, but on the inlet and outlet they have a plug and a smaller hole with a flap. Is that just packaging or does it need to come out? My old one had a divider in it. Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #12

Pvc clogging faucets

The nipple at the inlet and outlet with the rubber flapper is part of the efficiency. Prevents the hot water from leaving the tank , and the cold water from entering when your not calling for hot water at your fixtures. Stops convection currents. Leave the flappers in the nipples. Nipples are important to keep similiar metals at the top of tank, no electrolisis at the tank top. If it occurs it will be at the copper at the top of the nipple connection. Easier to repair copper than buy a tank beacause the treads are damaged at tank due to electrolisis.
semore 102 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to semore 102 For This Useful Post:
hotdog2 (01-06-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #13

Pvc clogging faucets

Thanks Semore, now I know to leave it alone. It just has what looks to be a 3/8" hole with the flapper.

Last edited by hotdog2; 01-03-2011 at 10:27 PM.