Purple Water - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Purple Water

I am on a well with pump and water purification systems, including a green sand filter with potassium permanganate for regenerating filter. I returned home after being away for 3 days, with pump shut off. After turning on pump the cold water ran purple color for about 10 minutes. I am concerned that the green sand filter equipment has gone haywire. My water purification supplier/technician wants to sell me a an aerator/oxidizer to replace the function of the green sand filter (removing/inhibiting iron and sulphur compounds). Any advice would be welcome.

Advertisement

ogbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Purple Water

Pink or purple water is a sign that the potassium permanganate did not fully rinse out of the green sand like it should have.
The valve most likely will need a rebuild and depending on the brand as to how easy it will be.
The other item that could have played a part was the fact that the pump was off and then the system started a cleaning and only had the water in the pressure tank to use, once used up there was no more water but the pot perm had been drawn up into the green sand and the timer finished moving the valve into the service mode.

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #3

Purple Water

I really appreciate your reply. I thought it might have been something to do with my pump being off and, trying to back wash, didn't have enough water in the system to fully rinse. As mentioned my water purification guru wants me to replace this chemical system with an oxidizer/aerator type filter. We're talking about $2,450 incl tax, so I'm wondering if it's worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ogbill For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

Purple Water

What is so bad with your water that just a reguler water softner would not do the same job for less then 1/2 the money?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #5

Purple Water

The well water has iron (discoloring clothes etc), sulfur (resulting in H2S smell); I have a softener but it doesn't do much with that stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to ogbill For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,514

Purple Water

I suspect the system went in regen mode and ran out of water when the pressure tank ran down. Perhaps run it through a manual cycle and see what happens.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Purple Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbill View Post
I really appreciate your reply. I thought it might have been something to do with my pump being off and, trying to back wash, didn't have enough water in the system to fully rinse. As mentioned my water purification guru wants me to replace this chemical system with an oxidizer/aerator type filter. We're talking about $2,450 incl tax, so I'm wondering if it's worth it.
If the set up that you have has been working and delivering the water quality that you are happy with, and only minor repairs have been done over the years and the equipment still has replacement parts , then why replace?

There are some that only wish to replace with new equipment and not keep running what is there, and if that is how they see it , then what is to keep them from looking to replace their equipment later and not repair?

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
ogbill (10-17-2012)