DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Purging Forced Hot Water System

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dwlodyka 
#1 ·
My forty year-old heating system is forced hot water by gas. It is two zone, first and second floor. Some of the heat registers on my second floor are cold. It seems that the circulators are working, as I can see the motors running. A friend told me to purge the system to insure that I have no air locks.

I have an idea as to how this done, however I hesitate to do it without some instruction. I know, for example that I must introduce water to the system to move the water and air along. I also know that I must allow for the air to escape the system by attaching a hose to the faucett connections that appear along the heat pipes (in the basement) and running the water out of the system. There appear to be four such fawcett connections

I don't know whether there are other considerations, so I thought that I would ask.

For example, do I purge through each faucett connection? If not, how do I identify the correct faucett connection?

Essentially, how is the purging accomplished?

Thanks,

DJ

See less See more
#2 ·
On a hot water heating system, there should be bleeder valves on each radiator. Your use of the word "registers" is confusing. If you have baseboard heat, each one should still have bleeder valves. Air rises to the highest point of the system, so look there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.