Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #1

Share |

Purging Forced Hot Water System

My forty year-old heating system is forced hot water by gas. It is two zone, first and second floor. Some of the heat registers on my second floor are cold. It seems that the circulators are working, as I can see the motors running. A friend told me to purge the system to insure that I have no air locks.

I have an idea as to how this done, however I hesitate to do it without some instruction. I know, for example that I must introduce water to the system to move the water and air along. I also know that I must allow for the air to escape the system by attaching a hose to the faucett connections that appear along the heat pipes (in the basement) and running the water out of the system. There appear to be four such fawcett connections

I don't know whether there are other considerations, so I thought that I would ask.

For example, do I purge through each faucett connection? If not, how do I identify the correct faucett connection?

Essentially, how is the purging accomplished?

Thanks,

DJ
dwlodyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #2

On a hot water heating system, there should be bleeder valves on each radiator. Your use of the word "registers" is confusing. If you have baseboard heat, each one should still have bleeder valves. Air rises to the highest point of the system, so look there.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #3

Maj,

The system is baseboard heat. Forced hot water. I've looked at the registers, I don't see any bleeder valves. That would make it too easy! What do I do in trhe absence of bleeder valves?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #4

Did you look under all the metal panels sometime there are little panels at the end of the radiator where a small bleed valve is.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #5

I looked, but Ill look again. From what I'm hearing, there must be something there, I just haven't seen it...

Thanks.