Pump House Location - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Pump house location

Our cabin, only used during summer, uses water from the lake it is on. There is an external pump house near the lake. The pump has a shortish run from the lake and then pushes water uphill in a longer run to the cabin. The pump house is failing due to a combination of reasons -- neglect, poor location (against a slipping hillside that is now making contact and pushing it), and a poor foundation (blocks on a super-rocky soil). I could put a lot of time and energy into maintaining that, but I'm questioning the basic premise of location here.

Honestly, I do not see why the pump should be external to the cabin at all! Can the pump be in or under the cabin and sip from the lake in a long run, and then push into the cabin plumbing in a short run?

Making this change would eliminate the need for a pump house, allow for stabilizing the slope once the pump house was gone. During this change, we would likely add a filtration system for drinking water. Currently, we hand filter drinking water (I'd use a gravity filter bag system, but I haven't found one that deals with chemicals, and power boats do use the lake).

Obviously there are tradeoffs -- the pump would be louder if it were closer. Also, it would need to be installed in a way that allowed for servicing, which might have space impacts in the cabin, or increase costs to make a human-sized service space under the cabin.

Any constructive thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Advertisement

lleveen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump , pump house , pump location