Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #1

Share |

Pulling up pump now its stuck -HELP plz

I was pulling up my old pump (140ft well) it was coming up fine until about 15 ft then the hose come loose from the pump. I finished pulling up all the hose and the wires are still connected to the pump. I lowered the pump back to the bottom with the wires and tried pulling it back up but keeps hitting on something and will not come up any further. Please help.

commosmart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by commosmart1 View Post
I was pulling up my old pump (140ft well) it was coming up fine until about 15 ft then the hose come loose from the pump. I finished pulling up all the hose and the wires are still connected to the pump. I lowered the pump back to the bottom with the wires and tried pulling it back up but keeps hitting on something and will not come up any further. Please help.
Sounds like it might be running into the pit less adapter..

if the wires are the only thing still holding the pump then it most likely is not straight up and down but off just enough.. you might try bringing the wires up at a different part of the pipe, ie if the pump hangs up then let down a little and move to the right about 1 inch and try again and repeat til you find an angle that works.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #3

Can you give more information about the well? PVC or metal?

If it is a 4" metal well these can be difficult.

What do you mean by hose? Black poly??

Does this well have a screen?

Many times these pumps just will not come out. Sometimes a pump hoist will help.
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #4

Sometimes we DIY'ers get ourselves into deep doggy doo!

Its likely that the pump wires enter the pump near the outside and when an attempt is made to pull on the pump it will catch on the inside surface of the well casing.

The ideal way to resolve this, would be to have a look with a TV camera and create a plan of action.
Obviously, pulling the cable isn't going to work. The pump being down at the bottom is likely immersed in water and may negate the use of the TV camera.
Broken bolts in metal parts are often removed using a tool called an EASYOUT. This, of course wouldn't work in your case, but something similar, could used to worm its way into the the pump opening or into the broken end of the pump line.
Did the pump line break? Or did it come away from the pump?
If the line broke, how much is still attached to the pump?
The weight of the water in the line is considerable and may have contributed to the water line separating. This weight will have to be taken into consideration also.

Experienced well people may be able to quickly resolve your problem and it may be best to call in some expert assistance.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #5

After re-reading your original post, and realizing that you have recovered all the water line, the weight of the water won't be a problem.
It may be that something like a hose clamp may be catching between the pump housing and the well casing. Is this possible?
If so, perhaps a rare earth magnet on the end of an electricians fish tape could retrieve it and allow the pump to be drawn up with its cable.
You won't want to hear this, but it was a big mistake to drop the pump down. Fishing from 15' is a lot easier than from 150'.
Something clever will be required to snag that pump and draw it up.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote