Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
STAFF

Share |

Pros and cons of AAVs

I am in the process of installing a 1/2 bath. I need to install a vent but don't want to go through the roof. Are there any down sides to using an AAV or would a loop vent be best?

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
the Musigician

Pros and cons of AAVs

I have 3 of them. The only downside I can see is they ARE mechanical, and as such could wear out over time. If I have to replace them every 20 years or so though, that's a fair price to pay for not having to run vents, as long as they're approved in your area. I added only the tiniest drop of glue so when they need to be replaced, they should come off relatively easily. They passed the inspection just fine that way.

DM

Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #3

Pros and cons of AAVs

Are asking about an island loop vent? They are labor intensive and take up a lot of room when you stack the fittings. They also require a foot vent through the roof. At least the ones I'm familiar with.
Can you pull a normal vent back to your existing vent stack in the attic?

Last edited by TheEplumber; 07-19-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added question
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
STAFF

Pros and cons of AAVs

There is a vent about a foot from the sink but it is a heavy galvanized pipe that is screwed into a PVC pipe which only sticks through the floor about 5 inches or so. There is a stud within 2 or 3 inches on either side of the pipe and it would sure be hard to cut that pipe unless you think a sawzall would cut it.

I was asking about a loop vent like is used in an island sink. I installed one in a house I had several years ago and it wasn't tied into an outside vent and it worked good, I didn't know they had to be tied into a vent that went through the roof.

How far from the main vent can I be to tie into the main vent?

DM, that is a good idea about a drop of glue so it could be taken back off.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote