Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #1

Share |

Is this the proper way to handle a drain cleaning machine?

I recently bought a brasscraft drain cleaning machine. It is a drum type, 1/3 hp, with a 3/8" cable.

Now I've read somewhere it is dangerous to actually touch the cable of a drain cleaner machine as it is running. However, this is a drum type machine and I can't imagine how else to feed the turning cable in except by hand.

So is it correct to feed in the auger cable by hand on this machine while it is running? Or is that dangerous?

Thanks.

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 AM   #2

It can be very dangerous. If the cable snags your gloves, it will take your hand(s) with it before you can get the machine stopped, and it WILL hurt you. It is not a good tool for a casual DIY'er.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #3

I've recently sliced up my finger installing some flourescent fixtures, so I agree there is some risk in DIY.

However we had to call out a plumber 3 out times in the last 3 months for this particular clog, once in the middle of the night, so I don't think I have a choice.
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #4

You should use heavy leather gloves, I prefer welding gloves. You want to keep the outfeed as close to the drain as possible so if it snags it won't whip around.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Household Handyman

There are gloves out there made just for this application, I have two pair I know. They are heavy leather, gauntlet type gloves, and have flat metal cleats made into the palm area of them. The metal cleats allow the snake/cable to turn while you are holding the snake/cable lightly enough to guide the snake/cable. It is important to inspect the gloves before each use to assure each cleat is still securely set properly into the glove. IF I remember correctly, I ordered these through our local plumbing supply house. DO NOT EVER use rubber gloves to do this job! ! ! I actually witnessed one of our "DUMMY" maintenance guys do just this. About the time I realized what he was going to do , it was over. When he started the cable up with the foot switch, it grabbed the rubber gloves and literally twisted him end-over-end. He couldn't get his foot off of the switch soon enough. He sprained his wrist bad enough for a cast, and his ego was damaged even worse. Be Careful, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

Exclamation

YES YOU ARE RIGHT YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR FINGERS AND HAND TO RUN THE CABLE THOUGH,

THE WAY I RUN THIS SIZE SNAKE IS BY HOLDING THE MACHINE IN MY LEFT HAND !

THEN I RUN AND HANDLE THE CABLE WITH MY RIGHT HAND
THIS BY THE WAY I DO " BARE " HANDED YOU CANNOT HAVE A GOOD FEELING FOR WHAT THE CABLE IS DOING WITH HEAVY WORK GLOVES ON

THIS IS ONLY FOR THE 1/4" OR 5/16" CABLES, ! ! !
ANYTHING LARGER I USE WORK GLOVES ON ! !

YOU CAN SEND ME ETHER A P.M. OR E-MAIL ME WITH YOU PHONE NUMBER AND BEST TIME TO CALL IF YOU WANT ME TO EXPLAIN ANY THING ELSE !

JERRYMAC@UTAHWEB.COM
MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #7

I'm assuming the plumber was experienced, consider that he/she was, worked on the clog 3 times already, and you still get the same problem. Not sure I would of bought a snake as next course of action. Maybe finding the cause of the clog would be better. I"m no expert with a snake, but I do have lots of respect for them. I think its one of those times where its better if you can have someone with experience spend some time with you operating the snake. I'm one of "those" stupid people who used rubber gloves one time, you'd be surprised how much your hand can fold in half, no damage actually, but did scare the heck out of me right quick.