Propane Tank Leak - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Propane Tank leak

My wife and I just purchased our first home. Everything has been going good, except for a few minor things that I have been able to take care of. Except for one thing.... the outside propane tank (filled with butane). When we first moved in, there were no problems with it. Then a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a loud hissing noise and strong smell coming from around the gauge. I called our gas provider, who we lease the tank from and they came out and did the best they could since the tank was just recently filled. They slowed the leak down but will need to come back when the tank is empty to fix it. The leak is not bad now and looks like a pinhole leak in the weld where the gauge is attached to the tank, but I was wondering if there was something I could temporarily put over the leak, such as tape or some kind of putty, until they can come out. Although I do not want to loose any gas, I am more worried about any kind of fire danger. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 574

Propane Tank leak

No no no , They should have replaced that tank and never left a leaking tank on a customers property, one spark and it blows up.
Call them back now, not later!

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
plummen (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 712

Propane Tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No no no , They should have replaced that tank and never left a leaking tank on a customers property, one spark and it blows up.
Call them back now, not later!
Get that taken care of Like now. better to lose the gas than a life or your home, have that tank inspected and i donít know in your area but in some places tanks need to be inspected and certified. the company that left that leaking must be nuts, major major liability. Good Luck
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,364

Propane Tank leak

They can pump the gas (liguid really) out of the tank and replacet he tank. If they refuse, call the fire dept and explain the situation. The fire dept will make sure they do it.

You have a dangerous situation, not just your own safety but all your neighbors also.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
plummen (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

Propane Tank leak

Ever seen a propane fire ball?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

Propane Tank leak

Fuel/Air Bomb. Big boom.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Propane Tank leak

These guys are correct and the service providers claim is irresponsible at best. The propane can be re-claimed by them and the tank replaced. What they are doing is unlawful and there are very strict rules governing the use and care of propane tanks.

Call your local Fire department and have them come to look at it and get the ball rolling for you.

Intentionally allowing any gas of that type to leak off into the atmosphere is also unlawful and both you and the service provider could be held liable for allowing this to continue.

Besides, with what propane/butane costs these days why you want to pay for the gas leaking into the atmosphere.

How big is this tank of yours?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #8

Propane Tank leak

Thanks for all of the responses. Looks like I will be calling them back. I have never dealt with a house tank like this before, but in the back of my head I knew that it should be taken care of sooner than later, but thought they were the "pros". Apparently not professional enough. I would rather pay for more gas than for a new house. Thanks again!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 268

Propane Tank leak

As stated above, they can just pump out the tank and then change it for a new one. Another thing, with the service you have been getting, I would not let them try to repair the original tank.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Propane Tank leak

In this part of the country a home tank is generally 500 gallons.

They can only fill a tank to 80% of its capacity for reasons of product expansion. If your tank is near full it contains approximately 400 gallons of product and should last you a while. Do you really want to sit around and wait until you use and waste 400 gallons of product at more than $2 per gallon and have product spewing into the air just to pacify those incompetent thieves.

There is something very wrong with all of this.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
Contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Propane Tank leak

Always replace a leaking tank. But in the meanwhile, personally, if it were me I would put some plumbers putty on the hole till they are able to come back and fix it. Do not leave it like that and make sure the change it asap.
aureliconstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Propane Tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aureliconstruct View Post
Always replace a leaking tank. But in the meanwhile, personally, if it were me I would put some plumbers putty on the hole till they are able to come back and fix it. Do not leave it like that and make sure the change it asap.
Ayuh,... Plumber's putty ain't gonna do squat...

It's a Pressure vessel...

It's hard to believe the supplier didn't do something like putting in temporary tanks, 'n pumpin' out the leaker...

The Hissing heard is Dollars flowin' Out of yer pocket...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #13

Propane Tank leak

I talked to them yesterday. The guy told me he thought it was probably the o-ring on the gauge and that they cannot do anything until the tank is empty. I asked him about draining the tank and replacing the gas and he said there wasn't any way to do that. I would just have to be patient. They are a small mom and pop operation so I do not know if they just do not have the capability of doing a "remove and replace" on the gas or if they are being lazy. Either case, I think once our lease on the tank is up in a few months, I will be looking for another supplier and tank, or see about switching over to electric hot water heater and furnace. I'm not sure what else to do at the moment. Fortunately it is barely leaking, but in my opinion, any leak is a bad leak.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #14

Propane Tank leak

By the way, the tank is 150 gallons
Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,542

Propane Tank leak

dosen't matter what size of tank you got...ITS LEAKING PROPANE...needs to be fixed ..now....call another company if you have too.....even for 2nd opinion....ben

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote