Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

Share |

Propane, Gas regulator?

I have a 100lb propane tank and a gas stove, kitchen aid
Bake element -16500
Burners total - 152000
165800 total BTUís
This is my only use for this tank and LP. I have heard everything from I need 2 regulators to a twin stage is all I need. The distance from the tank to stove is 3 feet. From stove is flex pipe, shut off, ridged pipe to outside stub (outside) to flex pipe, TO REGULATOR, then to tank. I am having a LP gasfitter install it, but here in Maryland the propane company want to rent you the tanks and do not sell the regulators. My plumber stated get everything and he will install. I just donít know what to get. PLEASE ADVISE
Chip,
Baltimore

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Experienced

Propane, Gas regulator?

I found this after a brief search

"
I ran the cook stove off a 100 pound tank all last winter. I hooked it up with the regualtor I had for the ice fishing house stove. This was a 2 stage regulator that put out about a half psi of pressure. It worked well.

This summer I switched to a 250 gallon tank. There is a high pressure regulator on the tank that puts out about 10 psi. This provides enough pressure to get gas through the longer pipe from the tank to the house since the bigger tank has to be at least 10 feet away from the house. I had to buy a low pressure regulator and mount it on the outside of the house. It knocks the gas pressure down to the half psi the stove needs.

I did the switch because propane is $3.50 a gallon if you bring a 100 pound tank into town and have them fill it. To fill a 100 gallon or bigger tank the gas company comes out to your house and fills it. This summer the gas cost $1.25 a gallon. Propane does not go bad and it's nice to have almost a 6 year supply on hand.

I have been told that a 100 pound or smaller tank may have trouble generating enough pressure to run the stove in really cold weather. It hasn't happened to me, even down to -30, but it might.

Connections for gas have to be either NPT (national pipe thread) with yellow teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads or copper tubing with flared connectors. You might need a flareing tool."

Mark

Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

Propane, Gas regulator?

Thanks mark, so you are also saying a twin stage. Thanks
chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote