DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Propane, Gas regulator? (

chipraynor 10-01-2012 05:13 PM

Propane, Gas regulator?
I have a 100lb propane tank and a gas stove, kitchen aid
Bake element -16500
Burners total - 152000
165800 total BTUís
This is my only use for this tank and LP. I have heard everything from I need 2 regulators to a twin stage is all I need. The distance from the tank to stove is 3 feet. From stove is flex pipe, shut off, ridged pipe to outside stub (outside) to flex pipe, TO REGULATOR, then to tank. I am having a LP gasfitter install it, but here in Maryland the propane company want to rent you the tanks and do not sell the regulators. My plumber stated get everything and he will install. I just donít know what to get. PLEASE ADVISE

Jackofall1 10-01-2012 05:32 PM

I found this after a brief search

I ran the cook stove off a 100 pound tank all last winter. I hooked it up with the regualtor I had for the ice fishing house stove. This was a 2 stage regulator that put out about a half psi of pressure. It worked well.

This summer I switched to a 250 gallon tank. There is a high pressure regulator on the tank that puts out about 10 psi. This provides enough pressure to get gas through the longer pipe from the tank to the house since the bigger tank has to be at least 10 feet away from the house. I had to buy a low pressure regulator and mount it on the outside of the house. It knocks the gas pressure down to the half psi the stove needs.

I did the switch because propane is $3.50 a gallon if you bring a 100 pound tank into town and have them fill it. To fill a 100 gallon or bigger tank the gas company comes out to your house and fills it. This summer the gas cost $1.25 a gallon. Propane does not go bad and it's nice to have almost a 6 year supply on hand.

I have been told that a 100 pound or smaller tank may have trouble generating enough pressure to run the stove in really cold weather. It hasn't happened to me, even down to -30, but it might.

Connections for gas have to be either NPT (national pipe thread) with yellow teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads or copper tubing with flared connectors. You might need a flareing tool."


chipraynor 10-01-2012 05:59 PM

Thanks mark, so you are also saying a twin stage. Thanks

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1