Propane Gas Line Question - U-turn? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Propane Gas Line Question - U-turn?

I need to move the propane gas line from where it is to the green line shown.
Is this U-turn ok? Do I need a trap there? Suggestions welcome as to how to proceed safely. The furnace line will be capped temporarily until I'm ready to do that project, but the wife wants the stove back asap, of course. Po)

Thanks!

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Propane Gas Line Question - U-turn?-gaslines.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

It would work, buf it were me I would eliminate a lot of the existing fittings you have in that mess and re-pipe it all. It would probably be easier anyway. There are a bunch of unnecessary fittings there that are potential leaks waiting to happen. The 2 street ells on your furnace line is one example.

Also, it may just be the pic, but it looks like you have a mish-mash of different gas line materials there. Copper, black-iron pipe and brass? Or am I seeing things?

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
the Musigician

yup, the furnace install guys did that and it passed, sooooo.... but yeah, I want to repipe the whole mess. but that's an immoveable 30' pipe, so I still need to backtrack to hit the stove hole. I'll likely use the existing tee turned sideways, cap off the end, then run the stove back along the run and up. I imagine I need some different and/or special mounting brackets?, and I'm not afraid of overkill, so feel free to keep us safe!
How would you do it if it were your home? Po) It is permitted and will be inspected when I get the furnace in.

Thanks!

DM
Old 06-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
fabrk8r

Yup, do just as you stated, rotate existing tee, nipple, then 90 degree ell back to new stove location.

I don't see where you'll need any mounting brackets, it should be solid enough unless you use some soft copper somewhere in the run, then yes, add a hanger.

Just make sure you use teflon tape (yellow) and TFE paste then spray the joints with soapy water first thing after turning gas supply back on to check for leaks.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
the Musigician

So I don't need a craptrap at the U-turn?

DM
Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
fabrk8r

I always try to put a drip leg on any run to an appliance as close to the appliance as possible.

It doesn't look like there was one there before and it passed inspection. Some places aren't requiring drip legs anymore, but I like to have them if for nothing other than a convenient place to purge the line.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
the Musigician

There's a drip leg on the furnace end-run under the gas valve. I intend to replace that copper line with steel when I get to that point too. Building a house is fun, every day brings something new! I was just thinking it may come in handy to HAVE one at that U-turn is all, just in case..... someday..... probably someone else.... may need to clean it?
Plenty of spare parts, so it's not a problem.

DM

Advertisement