Propane Of Electric????? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Propane of Electric?????

can some one really tell me which is better?

Advertisement

willyoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to iGotNoTime

Propane of Electric?????

I don't think either are used for plumbing? I use a combination of both though through my home. In what way do you mean better? Both have some advantages I think.

Advertisement

iGotNoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Propane of Electric?????

Willyoldschool, Are you asking pertaining to appliances (stove, water heater, furnace)? Combinations often work best. If you live in a Rural area where winter can take out the electric, it is best to have the Propane, as a heat source and for cooking.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #4

Propane of Electric?????

Everything in the house is electric. We live in an area that may get snow once a year, but it still gets cold, this past week has seen mid 20f for night time temps. Hurricanes are our big thing, we usually get the residual affects from the Carolina Coast storms. The house came with a Propane tank, with fuel left in it, and the only appliance connected to it is a Vent Free Propane heater in the fireplace, which we will eventually move to the basement, and would like a functional Fireplace to be decided on later. We have been using the heater over the past few days and enjoy the comfort it supplies except for the dryness. There are multiples lines run from the tank, which seem to have been connected to a water heater, stove maybe, and various space heaters. My wife and I both grew up in the north, Michigan, and western NY in the middle of monster snow belts. We both enjoy wood burning fireplaces and had natural gas and electric appliances. We are now just seriously trying to get our home as efficient as possible. The house currently has a Heat Pump/Air conditioner. Electric Hot Water tank, and the same for all the other major appliances. To add a twist to all of this, our Electric company will give us substantial rebates if we purchase new and more efficient Hot water tank and Heat pumps. But We are still not sure if going Gas is still not more efficient.

I agree with the comment about propane for cooking in case of electrical outages, but what is the overall judement on Heat source. We rarely have any outages in the winter, it is usually in the summer, Hurricane season if at all.

Thanks again
Old 11-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #5

Propane of Electric?????

As a heatsource I would say it is only slightly less expensive than electric. But if you rarely lose your power for long periods of time I would think that ventless gas heater or even two of them would be plenty of security should you lose power.

Make sure the models you choose require no electricity though to run. As far as the hot water tanks I am eager to get that tax credit too. Our big electric hot water heater works fine and has a decent energy rating (around 84% efficient) but the big tankless propane systems sound like a dream too good to be true. Endless hot water? Wow! I have 6 in our house and a 7th will soon be added. We are at the point we just about have to schedule showers and that is with an 60 gallon tank.

So rather than going to an 80 gallon tank we will be buying one of the 175,000 btu tankless propane systems. Two showers at the same time, it must be a dream. I know nothing about heat pumps so I think someone else should answer that question.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #6

Propane of Electric?????

Not only do we get the tax rebate, our power company gives us up to $200 cash rebate if we change our tank to an electric tank of thier specifications....

as far as the tankless...I had totally forgotten about those....our Propane supplier, will come in and change out our tank to a gas tank and we can either purchase it or rent it, up to 100 gallon tank....that's a lot of water for just my wife and I, although when the kids come visit with the grand kids, 100 gallons sure would be a help...they have rebates as well.....but the tankless sure would solve that problem right off the bat.......
Old 11-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #7

Propane of Electric?????

I wouldn't worry about the rinky dink little rebates offered by the utility companies. My dad did one of those with an electric heater from the power company. "To their specifications" means they control when it cycles. This in turn means that there an abundance of hot water at 3am but not much at all at 6pm.

I think tankless is really a great technology, why heat 100 gallons just in case you might use it? Just my view though.

Advertisement